Vibrating feeder wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

lendog

Hi I just left a clients house and Iam a little stumped about something. The feeder wires coming from the power company, and the feeder wires going through the riser to the panel vibrate. I dont know if the power companies wires are the ones causing the vibration or the wires going through the riser. Anyone have any suggestions on what might cause this, or have heard of this before? I amped out the feeders and they were only drawing about 60 amps per leg.

220/221

This isn't helpful but I had the exact same issue a month ago. It was odd. 200 amp service, about ten years old....underground feed thru 2.5" conduit.

I put the amprobe around the feeders and felt the vibration. I closed it up and told them to call the POCO and I didn't hear back.

elohr46

Hi I just left a clients house and Iam a little stumped about something. The feeder wires coming from the power company, and the feeder wires going through the riser to the panel vibrate. I dont know if the power companies wires are the ones causing the vibration or the wires going through the riser. Anyone have any suggestions on what might cause this, or have heard of this before? I amped out the feeders and they were only drawing about 60 amps per leg.

Is the POCO xfmr near by, they do vibrate a little.

220/221

60 amps on what size and type conductor?

Since our issues are about the same, I'll chime in. Hopefully, lendog will also reply.

My conductors were 2/0 Al triplex (typical POCO conductors) I was reading around 60/70 amps also with everything (AC, cooktop/oven/dryer/pool equip/water heater/lights) turned on

My transformer was 100' away in a neighbors yard.

lendog

Sorry, its been one of those days. Dont recall for sure if the trans. is close, I think about 80-100'. The feeders coming out of the panel was 3/0 thhn, wires coming in from the power company were #4 I believe, and they were aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.