Size of ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie4now

I cannot locate the code reference for sizing of ground rods. 250.52(A)5 says the minimum approved rod is 1/2" but it never mentions when a 5/8 or 3/4 rod would be required.

iwire

Staff member
I cannot locate the code reference for sizing of ground rods. 250.52(A)5 says the minimum approved rod is 1/2" but it never mentions when a 5/8 or 3/4 rod would be required.

The NEC never requires those size rods, sometimes engineers specify the use of larger rods.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Actually 250.52.(A)(5)(b) says that a ground rod is required to be at least 5/8" of an inch unless the rod is listed, then a 1/2" rod is permitted.

250.52(A)(5) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. Rod and pipe electrodes shall not be less than 2.44 m (8 ft) in length and shall consist of the following materials.
(a) Grounding electrodes of pipe or conduit shall not be smaller than metric designator 21 (trade size ?) and, where of steel, shall have the outer surface galvanized or otherwise metal-coated for corrosion protection.
(b) Grounding electrodes of stainless steel and copper or zinc coated steel shall be at least 15.87 mm ( in.) in diameter, unless listed and not less than 12.70 mm (? in.) in diameter.

iwire

Staff member
Actually 250.52.(A)(5)(b) says that a ground rod is required to be at least 5/8" of an inch unless the rod is listed, then a 1/2" rod is permitted.

If I have a listed ground rod (and why the heck wouldn't I) is there anytime the NEC requires the use of a larger rod?:cool:

bphgravity

There are way more unlisted ground rods on the market than there are listed ones. The cost associated isn't really worth it.

That being said, ground rod design is perhaps the most commonly over-engineered component of electrical systems I typically see on a daily basis. Engineers must have the inside track on ground rod futures...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Everyone I have worked for in the past has specified a 3/4" diameter rod.

why not an inch?

:)

I have never really understood the fascination with grounding electrodes for most electrical systems. It really does not do much for the electrical system, or for safety. Do the minimum and be done with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.