Extending branch circuit from one panel to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

I have three 208/120 volt 3 phase panels mounted side by side on a wall in an electrical room. They are each interconnected by various sized conduit nipples.

Some of the branch circuits in the far-right panelboard need to be routed through the middle panelboard and into the far-left panelboard. The phase conductors are of adequate length to reach, but the grounded conductors have been previously terminated in the far-right panelboard and are not long enough to reach without being either wire-nutted or butt-spliced in the far-right panelboard.

This brings me to my question: since there are available spaces to terminate on the grounded conductor terminal (neutral bar), instead of wire-nutting or butt-splicing, could I use the terminal bar to connect additional grounded conductors from one panelboard to another? Or would this be too confusing to an electrician working on this panelboard in the future? Hope my question is clear. :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Off hand I can't think of any rule you would be violating.

The three neutral bars are presumably bonded together, so electrically it will work.

Whether it will confuse someone down the road is something else.

Some might argue this paragraph would prohibit what you want to do.

300.2(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of
the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor
and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors
shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary
gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or
cord
, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with
300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).
I don't think a nipple qualifies as a raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord.

wbalsam1

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of 300.2 and intend to route these grounded conductors in the same conduit as the phase conductors. Just wondering about using the terminal bar as a means of splicing rather than a wirenut or a butt splice.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of 300.2 and intend to route these grounded conductors in the same conduit as the phase conductors. Just wondering about using the terminal bar as a means of splicing rather than a wirenut or a butt splice.

I don't think you can do that because you would end up with a short piece of neutral in parallel and that is prohibited.

IMO, if you want to run the neutral conductors with the phase conductors you have to lift them off the bus bar and splice them.

wbalsam1

I don't think you can do that because you would end up with a short piece of neutral in parallel and that is prohibited.

IMO, if you want to run the neutral conductors with the phase conductors you have to lift them off the bus bar and splice them.

Thank you very much. Your answer makes sense and is very much appreciated. It was just a thought, anyway. Standing in front of a panel too long must expose me to stray currents...thus stray ideas....;)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've never figured out why electricians mount several panels in a row and then don't put a gutter over/under them all? You know some circuits will eventually need to combine and go out one raceway? Seems especially true when you have different voltage panels side by side with power and control circuits using one raceway, for an example.

You'll spend more time troubleshooting and tracking wires through panels that the time and confusion saved would of been better spent to gutter it from the beginning.:cool:

I realize I didn't answer your question, this is just a pet peeve of mine.:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've never figured out why electricians mount several panels in a row and then don't put a gutter over/under them all? You know some circuits will eventually need to combine and go out one raceway? Seems especially true when you have different voltage panels side by side with power and control circuits using one raceway, for an example.

You'll spend more time troubleshooting and tracking wires through panels that the time and confusion saved would of been better spent to gutter it from the beginning.:cool:

I realize I didn't answer your question, this is just a pet peeve of mine.:)

One reason that we don't install wireways as you've suggested is the derating factors that apply after you reach 30 CCC's in a wireway.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
One reason that we don't install wireways as you've suggested is the derating factors that apply after you reach 30 CCC's in a wireway.

Why is it you can have a hundred or more CCC in a breaker box without derating but as soon as they go into a gutter its a problem if there are more then 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.