Are there conduits in that concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I have been asked to determine if there are electrical conduits in floors of a hi-rise apartment building for a heating contractor.

I do a lot of work for this contractor. He needs to core drill 270 holes in areas that are stacked up on top of each other. The holes on the lower floors need to be about 8" and the upper floors more like 4". The space to work with is 2' by 3'. I don't know if these are closets or not. He wants to know if there are any conduits in the floor and where they are so he can plan his pipe runs.

The building was built in the 60s so there is a good chance any conduits in the slab are GRC but I can't be sure. He plans to ask for as-built drawings that might show conduits but he wants to be assured his men don't drill into live circuits (or dead ones).

I don't own any test equipment that would detect where buried circuits are but this contractor might be willing to buy it. So what is out there that will do the job?

Thanks, Mike

mkgrady

he needs an x-ray contractor. we use them to find post tension cables in concrete structures.

Well I guess that would rule out my services. That sounds expensive. I was thinking tsomeone might make a gixmo I could buy and learn to use and have the job pay for the instrument.

I take it it x-ray can pin-point the conduits and it can tell this difference between re-rod and conduits?

480sparky

Well I guess that would rule out my services. That sounds expensive. I was thinking tsomeone might make a gixmo I could buy and learn to use and have the job pay for the instrument. ..............

Why would it rule you out? Cannot you subcontract that work out?

480sparky

I'd like to but what service would I be providing that the heating contractor could not do himself? He's accustomed to hiring many subs.

Why let the HVAC contractor have all the fun? The service you provide would be getting the job you've been asked to do done.

I don't do fire alarms, security systems, intercoms, or home theaters. I sub all that out. But I still provide fire alarms, security systems, intercoms and home theaters to my customers.

mkgrady

Why let the HVAC contractor have all the fun? The service you provide would be getting the job you've been asked to do done.

I don't do fire alarms, security systems, intercoms, or home theaters. I sub all that out. But I still provide fire alarms, security systems, intercoms and home theaters to my customers.

You have a point there.

wireguru

I would have some reservations about becoming involved. Here is my take on the situation: (my opinion based on gut instinct)

If the heating contractor knew what he was doing he would know he needs to have the floors X rayed, not call an electrician to come in and see if there are any conduits.

Has structural review of his proposed holes been completed?

I would not want to be middle man between the xray co and the guy coring the holes. A mistake could be VERY costly, and since you are involved you get to be sued too.

I wouldnt touch it..... I have needed holes in highrises before and I have put the responsibility entirely on a coring contractor. Had them responsible for precise hole location, x ray, had them deal directly with building mgmt and have their insurance on file with the building, etc.

This seems to be too much liability to take on, just to make a few bucks as a middleman.

mkgrady

I would have some reservations about becoming involved. Here is my take on the situation: (my opinion based on gut instinct)

If the heating contractor knew what he was doing he would know he needs to have the floors X rayed, not call an electrician to come in and see if there are any conduits.

Has structural review of his proposed holes been completed?

I would not want to be middle man between the xray co and the guy coring the holes. A mistake could be VERY costly, and since you are involved you get to be sued too.

I wouldnt touch it..... I have needed holes in highrises before and I have put the responsibility entirely on a coring contractor. Had them responsible for precise hole location, x ray, had them deal directly with building mgmt and have their insurance on file with the building, etc.

This seems to be too much liability to take on, just to make a few bucks as a middleman.

Good points. I would factor those risks into a price if it comes to it.

ceb58

It only claims to see re-bar. I imagine it would also see GRC conduit but I wonder why it doesn't make that claim

It dose claim to find "other ferrous objects". I would guess it mentions re-bar by name because that would be the most common ferrous item in concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.