240V Heater near tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarrettK

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Re-wiring a bathroom for a client who wants to reinstall a 240V heater within 2' of a new spa tub. I want to run the heater on a 240V GFI breaker because of the proximity to the tub.

The client is being cheap, no problem spending $4K on a tub but doesn't want to spring $130 for a breaker to possibly save their lives. So I need to find something in the code that backs me up on this.

608.71 only covers 120V receptacles. 680.72 is vague.

210.8 only covers 120V receptacles in bathrooms.

Is there somewhere else I can look?

Thanks for any help.

Garrett

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
The reason you don't need a GFCI circuit for that hard wired water heater is because there is no danger. What is your concern? Someone might try to adjust the thermo or change out elements while hanging in the SPA?

Reasonable

Reasonable

Twoskinoneman makes a reasonable point; but then why does the clearance of a chandelier over a tub have to have 7' clearance from the top edge of the tub. Is someone going to get out of the tub naked and wet to change a lamp in the chandelier?
When it comes to life safety, I error to the side of caution. Any metal components in the heater, in theory, could become "hot". I would tell the client it is a Life safety issue.

GarrettK

Inactive, Email Never Verified
The reason you don't need a GFCI circuit for that hard wired water heater is because there is no danger. What is your concern? Someone might try to adjust the thermo or change out elements while hanging in the SPA?

Not a water heater, a room heater.

This is a leaky 80 year old house, I could see someone in the tub wanting to adjust the heat in the room and reaching over to adjust it.

I also realize that a properly grounded unit should be a minimal risk but I too want to err on the side of caution. I would just be easier to sell the client if I could point to a code rather than just citing life safety. It seems most out here will gladly ignore life safety items to save a buck. You should see some of the stuff I have to try and fix that years of home owners have done in these old houses.

People out in the rural areas just don't have a healthy fear of electricity!

Garrett

growler

Re-wiring a bathroom for a client who wants to reinstall a 240V heater within 2' of a new spa tub. I want to run the heater on a 240V GFI breaker because of the proximity to the tub.

Why worry about it? It's a legal install anything above that is the customer's choice. You offered and he declined.

There are almost 7 billion people on this planet it's not like we can't afford to lose a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.