Rusty Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken9876

I went to a home about a month ago, realtor ref. The guy had a very corroded panel, when I had gotten there he already had a electricican look at it and the other electrician was going to do something cheap, so the HO wants nothing to do with me. Flash forward to today realtor calls me, this guy didn't fix anything in the home. The panel came back up on the home inspection, normally home inspectors are wrong but this time I agree with him, the electrician just vacumed the panel. When I saw it, the panel was corroded about 3/4 the way up the panel, the buss bars were corroded, the fasteners that hold the tabs for the breakers to the buss bars were corroded. The wood behind the panel was rotted, the basement was filled with water at sometime. My opinion is the panel should be replaced. Any opinions?

I went to a home about a month ago, realtor ref. The guy had a very corroded panel, when I had gotten there he already had a electricican look at it and the other electrician was going to do something cheap, so the HO wants nothing to do with me. Flash forward to today realtor calls me, this guy didn't fix anything in the home. The panel came back up on the home inspection, normally home inspectors are wrong but this time I agree with him, the electrician just vacumed the panel. When I saw it, the panel was corroded about 3/4 the way up the panel, the buss bars were corroded, the fasteners that hold the tabs for the breakers to the buss bars were corroded. The wood behind the panel was rotted, the basement was filled with water at sometime. My opinion is the panel should be replaced. Any opinions?

Replace the panel and associated wiring/conductors/breakers, referencing 110.11, 300.6, and 310.9

ozark01

Is the realtor working for the buyer or the seller? It is amazing to me as to what repair is acceptable to the seller when it would not be acceptable if they were the buyer.

Since you are the person asked to repair the panel I would repair it in the way you would want it done at your house.

This problem is going to keep popping up on home inspections until the problem is repaired so the seller might as well go ahead and fix the problem now and not loose a buyer with a signed contract.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't know why there is a question here. From what it sounds is the panel is damaged beyond repair and need more than a dusting out.
Replace it.
WHy the need to make a special deal.
Panels are cheap, Breakers are cheap.
The cost of Labor is the only issue.

Time is money

Time is money

I wouldn't spend too much time on this. I get alot of these referals and alot of times the seller is just looking for a $$ number to credit the buyer or visa versa. Estimates are usually free from me, but not in these situations.

good luck with it.

jimmyglen

I wouldn't spend too much time on this. I get alot of these referals and alot of times the seller is just looking for a $$ number to credit the buyer or visa versa. Estimates are usually free from me, but not in these situations.

good luck with it.

this is so true

However - the bottom line is that YOU are the electrician (who knows who the other "electrician" was?)

make the call - do the right thing - do it right = sleep better at night

Status
Not open for further replies.