Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on the market to by a digital camera. I bought a digital point and shoot, but when using in dark, close object or long distances for like 20ft up I can not get good pictures. So I want to know what gear you guys have used, that work for You. Like Canon or Nikon?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For point and shoots I like Canon. My DSLR is a Nikon D90 w/ a bag full of lenses. For shooting photo's on the job I carry a Canon point and shoot but often I find it frustrating since it's limited in what it can do. If there's a special project that I want to document I'll break out the DSLR which usually creates problems with having to carry a big camera around on a job site.

480sparky

I went to a Nikon D60 a year ago.

353_25438_D60_front.jpg

I have 4 lenses:

10-24mm for those real wide interior shots.

353_2181_AF-S-DX-Zoom-NIKKOR-10-24mm-f-3.5-4.5G-ED_front.jpg

18-105 for 'everyday' shooting:

353_2179_AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-105mm-f-3.5-5.6G-ED-VR_front.jpg

70-300 for telephoto:

353_2161_AF-S-VR-Zoom-NIKKOR-70-300mm-f-4.5-5.6G-IF-ED_front.jpg

And for when I really want to 'reach out and touch someone', I drag out the 2000mm Celestron:

11075-XLT_cpc1100gpsxlt_mid.gif

bobsherwood

For work, I use a Kodak C613. Yes, it is cheap but, it really works well... I dont like to carry my DSLR on jobs. That's more for camping..
Seems most PHD (push here dummy) cameras are the same, it's just figuring out what your really looking for.....

Occupation
Inspector
I use the Nikon Coolpix L18. While it is a P&S it does take a decent image. I have better luck when I use the flash. This camera is small enough that I can carry it in a pouch on my tool belt.

Besoeker

I am on the market to by a digital camera. I bought a digital point and shoot, but when using in dark, close object or long distances for like 20ft up I can not get good pictures. So I want to know what gear you guys have used, that work for You. Like Canon or Nikon?
It depends on what you want from the camera.
We have a Fuji Finepix that cost around $150 and the results are generally OK.
This is a close up of a terminal strip. It's clear enough but there is some spherical abberation. But it does the job.

Terminalstrip009b.jpg

Same with this:

C12273-twoLHSlimbs02.jpg

But to appreciate the difference between that and a fairly good camera (and I apologise for the personal indulgence) here is the Fuji rendition of one of our little lot:

MaiinJuly.jpg

And the Minolta of another of them:

J2.jpg

The first is fine and shows a happy little girl - plus all the background clutter.
The second is just the subject.

Last edited:

jm1470

This is just me but i bought a digital camers that takes regular double a's batteries. Im always leaving it in the truck and sometimes forget to charge it.

I am eyeing several older canon and nikon models, the profesional grade ones like the eos 1d or 5d and nikon equivalents.I still do not know if I am making a bad decision but I am doing a lot of research.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I use a Nikon PS type has wide angle and close up , even a swinging monitor great for the job. Can even stitch panoramas.

ozark01

I use a Nikon Coolpix. It will last about a year taking a 100 or so pictures a day. The telescoping lens is usually the first thing to go.

~Shado~

It depends on what you want from the camera.
We have a Fuji Finepix that cost around $150 and the results are generally OK.
This is a close up of a terminal strip. It's clear enough but there is some spherical abberation. But it does the job.

Terminalstrip009b.jpg

Same with this:

C12273-twoLHSlimbs02.jpg

But to appreciate the difference between that and a fairly good camera (and I apologise for the personal indulgence) here is the Fuji rendition of one of our little lot:

MaiinJuly.jpg

And the Minolta of another of them:

J2.jpg

The first is fine and shows a happy little girl - plus all the background clutter.
The second is just the subject.

Beautiful children there.....:D

SG-1

You should/can use as expensive equipment as you can afford. The most important part is the skill of the photographer. I can take better pictures with a point & shoot than most people could with an SLR.

I will say that I believe you need an SLR or DSLR to learn if you need photographs, instead of pictures. You have to learn to use full manual mode. A point & shoot can never rival a SLR because you do not have the manual control that is needed for some demanding situations & the built in lenses are cheep. You can buy external flashes for more range.

Steve

For a decent Point & Shoot, I use the Canon SX100. The SX110 is the newer model. This camera takes very decent pictures, as most have seen here. It has a very good selection of manual settings...getting use to the settings may take some practice. The one bad feature of the camera when set on high resolution, is the slow response between pictures.

I also have the Canon Rebel T1i. This is an awesome camera. If one is not a professional, I would venture to say it is all the camera one would really need for years to come.

P.S. I have several other cameras, but I only use the 2 mentioned above.

SG-1

As for brands I recommend that you stay with a long established camera manufacturer like Canon or Nikon.

The best 3 things about the point & shoot:

1. Their ability to go from macro ( close-up) to normal with the press of a putton or two.

2. Their ability to squeeze into tiny spaces and take a picture of something you can not even see well, like nameplates or other markings.

3. Movies can be especially informative.

With DSLR camera kits the supplied lens is usually junk. Canon marks their professional lenses with a red ring, Nikon does something simular. The good glass prices start at $1000. So take a good look at the manufacturers line of lenses.

With all that said I use a Canon 20D for my SLR & a Canon SD 950 IS for my point & shoot. My employer supplies me a Sony point & shoot to use.

The most important part will always be your ability to use it.

Check out B&H they sell both new and used.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.