"I'll match any price" he said

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

I went to look at a job today - small addition to a house - the lady knew exactly what she wanted - I could tell she already had walked through this with another electrician - she wanted a price on the spot - I told her I had to go back to my office and put it all together. She told me that another guy gave her a price in the high 3's - I'm guessing $3900. She then told me that he told her that he would match any other price that she got.

I told her - how am I supposed to compete with that? If I give you a lower price are you just going to go back to him to match it or will you give me the job?

I then told her it sounds strange to hear that from someone - basically he is telling her - I can and will do it for less but I'm going to charge you more unless you can find it cheaper - then I will do it for less.

zog

I went to look at a job today - small addition to a house - the lady knew exactly what she wanted - I could tell she already had walked through this with another electrician - she wanted a price on the spot - I told her I had to go back to my office and put it all together. She told me that another guy gave her a price in the high 3's - I'm guessing $3900. She then told me that he told her that he would match any other price that she got.

I told her - how am I supposed to compete with that? If I give you a lower price are you just going to go back to him to match it or will you give me the job?

I then told her it sounds strange to hear that from someone - basically he is telling her - I can and will do it for less but I'm going to charge you more unless you can find it cheaper - then I will do it for less.

Quote her $1500

ultramegabob

just for kicks give her a price of what it would cost just for materials, that way if they other guy undercuts you he is paying her to do the job. If he wont bite and she says you can do it, just tell her that sorry, you just took on a large job and you will be too busy.

growler

I went to look at a job today. She told me that another guy gave her a price in the high 3's - I'm guessing $3900.

Don't be shy ask to see the bid. She already gave the quote, the only thing left is what he quoted ( scope of work ). I find it interesting to read these, many will be very ambiguous as to what they are actually quoting.

If it's not a very detailed quote then ask if she would like and itemized scope of work so she would know exactly what she is buying.

You are not supposed to compete with "that" you are supposed to sell her a job and a job can be sold on more than price. I'll asK other questions of the customer if they want to talk. Mam did you like the guy, did he seem to know what he was doing, do you feel comforatable with that price. If what you are looking for is a cheap price then Joe Blow is the right place for you to go Mam but if you are looking for quality you may want to think about Coppertone. We are reasonable but not so cheap but we do quality work and offer a great warranty. I really think I can make you a better deal than the other guy even if it will cost a little more, you will be satisfied with the job.

Again , spend time selling the job and not so much just on price. Alway act like you know you are better than the other guy and have complete confidence in yourself. People pick up on that.

Ohmy

Isn't that exactly why she should not use that guy? Go after this client! If you are a great contractor and do awesome work why would anyone hire this guy instead of you?

I think price matching is fine. We match to bring in new clients, keep old one's happy, and keep certain guys busy. Of course, our price guarantee is limited to projects that actually make us money we don't match losing projects. All we do is refund the trip charge and give the customer our best wishes.

IMO, price is rarely the deciding factor. Very few people buy the least expensive thing. Think about it. When you go out to eat, you don't say "I'll have your cheapest salad, cheapest meal and cheapest drink."

480sparky

That's exactly what I was thinking.:D

Unless of course you're trying to make enough to buy a $4K camera.:grin:

No, I want Grandma to make enough to buy me a $4k camera.
character0308.gif
Tell her "Nikon D3, body only.".... that's all she'll need to know.

Last edited:

electricmanscott

May sound weird but if it gets the other guy the job and he pays his bills for the month I say good for him.

active1

Remember jobs are not won on price alone.
Some times you have EC or even handyman "A" that will work for too little.
But the HO does not feel good about hirering this person. For reasons such as qusetionable skill, knowledge, reputation, poor sales tactics, or unkept appearance.
Then the HO will call EC "B" because they want someone that knows how and will do a good job in a profesional manor. Except they want it for the "A" price. Kinda like wanting a Caddilac dealer to match the price of the Chevy dealer. Many have no intent of using EC "A" except to get a better price from EC "B".

I would also guess the the quote from the frist EC is something vegue, poorly written on a piece of notebook paper. With major details missing like how many of what and who is supplying this and paying for that. Something like "do addition for 3900". You can only use that to raise questions of what is included, excluded, or extra. Perhaps the HO told the other EC to give a labor price only and to use the HO's material.

Also it could be just a story that the HO came up with as they feel the job should be that much.

Quote them what you feel it's worth. Point out why your better and additional work you would do for your bid. Such as a few code corections you seen needed to existing, decora devices, etc.. Don't waist too much time but figure you already looked at it. It's all about salesmanship.

Also sometimes I hear of an EC the will bid a job too low but not show up. They do some more figuring and think it's a loss I guess. Perhaps some use that lowest price in town deal to help them close the deal. But push come to shove don't honer it.

Last edited:

celtic

- she wanted a price on the spot - I told her I had to go back to my office and put it all together. She told me that another guy gave her a price in the high 3's - I'm guessing $3900.

So what did you come up with price wise?

CopperTone

I came up with $4350 for the job - I figured no sense in trying to slice off $500 to try to get the job - I did give her some options of eliminating some things to bring the cost down and I was very specific in what I would be doing. I also gave her the brand of recesed lighting I use - it isn't the cheap HD brand - which some guys use. I told her to be sure she was comparing apples to apples.
I do agree that selling myself not as the cheapest but as a better option from a quality and reliability standpoint. I offered her references and insurance paperwork if she requests it too.

I can't work for discounted prices - I'd rather not work - time and time again people come back after the lower price disaster. Not always - but eventually because they can't get that low guy back 2 years later cause he is out of business or working for someone else.

I wish everyone stood their ground.

I just was talking to an EC yesterday - he was complaining about a job he bid - he said all the quotes were $140,000 - $150,000 range - and this one rogue bid for $90,000. What the F? why would u work for free or wages only? - that guy left $50,000 on the table - who feels sick now?

growler

She told me that another guy gave her a price in the high 3's - I'm guessing $3900. She then told me that he told her that he would match any other price that she got.

I came up with $4350 for the job - I figured no sense in trying to slice off $500 to try to get the job.

Your numbers are still in the Ball Park so I would submit it as a bid. The other contractor may not even show up. $500 isn't always enough to scare a customer off, they may figure it's worth the extra money.

satcom

I can't work for discounted prices - I'd rather not work - time and time again people come back after the lower price disaster. Not always - but eventually because they can't get that low guy back 2 years later cause he is out of business or working for someone else.

I wish everyone stood their ground.

I just was talking to an EC yesterday - he was complaining about a job he bid - he said all the quotes were $140,000 - $150,000 range - and this one rogue bid for $90,000. What the F? why would u work for free or wages only? - that guy left $50,000 on the table - who feels sick now?

Not worth getting excited about, I seen them come, and seen them go, they have a mind set that taking a job at a loss is better then nothing, what they fail it see is the big picture, the long term effect. Once they drop their prices, the customers usually look at them as having little self worth, someone they can take advantage of for their own good.
The sad part is most of these guys are great electricians, but when it comes to running a business they have no set plans, seat of the pants operations, get jobs and assume they will make money, usually after years of trying, they come home one day, to find their wife ran off with the plumber, and then the light lights up that he was in business to make money.

bradleyelectric

The sad part is most of these guys are great electricians, but when it comes to running a business they have no set plans, seat of the pants operations, get jobs and assume they will make money, usually after years of trying, they come home one day, to find their wife ran off with the plumber, and then the light lights up that he was in business to make money.

I know, it's them plumbers. They got it together. When we were young everyone thought it was the electricians that had it figured out, but the plumbers knew what they were doing. They ended up with the chicks in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.