residential panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

This question was posed on another forum and was closed immediatly as DIY; however, I would like to know if I came up with the correct articles concerning the application. The question was:

"Hi, just found out the underground conduit for my feeders to the panel in a log house was buried by the plumbers. Only wall I can locate a panel is on an outside wall upstairs in a loft bedroom for an overhead riser so I can clear a porch roof by 8 feet.. Anyone ever place a panel upstairs? The main disconnect/meter is located on a pole less than 30 feet from the house. (Out in the country)... Local inspector has never seen a panel installed upstairs before, neither have I..... Help???? Thanks, Dennis"

The articles I found applicable to single family residential panel locations would be 240.24(D) and (E), and 312.2(A), none disallow this install as far as I can tell, correct? Yes I know height, wall finish, clearances, and accessability, and other factors are involved. That is not the question.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No problem with the installation that I can see either.

Roger

ultramegabob

I did some work in a ballpark concession stand that gets flooded almost every year, I raised all of the recepts above the level that the water has flooded to in the past and installed the panel upstairs.

The AHJ here will allow a panel in all locations as the NEC allows (not where obstructed, not in bathrooms, not in kitchens, not over stairsteps, etc). I've used existing mobile home style services mounted on a pole to feed subpanels which powers the entire home. The AHJ has no problem with it and I've always chosen to run underground to the residence...overhead should be a viable option as long as it meets height requirements and riser specs. If the proper wire, breaker, conduit, and subpanel is used...its a simple install upstairs or downstairs.

jumper

Thank you gentleman.:) I just wanted to make sure I checked the correct places. I do find it strange that the question was immediately closed as DIY since the OP used the terms "riser", "feeder", and "disconnect". In my experience, usually DIYers would say "pipe", "power wires", and " box to kill power" for these terms.

Sorry...panels over kitchen cabinets or in kitchen cabinets isn't specifically stated in the NEC but its an AHJ issue for sure (....counter spacing, moisture from cooking, grease, accessibility, etc...)

Jim W in Tampa

Sorry...panels over kitchen cabinets or in kitchen cabinets isn't specifically stated in the NEC but its an AHJ issue for sure (....counter spacing, moisture from cooking, grease, accessibility, etc...)
Unless it's in writing and a local amendment the panel can be in the kitchen if it passes 110.26

Status
Not open for further replies.