fan controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

I have a customer that wants to use 1 speed control switch that will control 2 paddle fans - I think it would work fine but never have done it that way. Has anyone done it that way?

hurk27

I have done it, but you have to watch that the load does not exceed the rating of the control.

Most controls are about 300 va, but I have seen some of the cheaper ones that have a 150 va rating, fan motors can range from 36 to 80 va.

so bottom line is you have to check. also you can get FC's with a much higher wattage if needed, I have used some rated at 1200 watts

mcclary's electrical

I've done it and stayed well within the parameters of the load specified by controller and it still seemd to damage the controller, about once a year it would need to be replaced. But that was ten years ago and I have not done it since. There's bound to be a controller that can do this now without burning up.

active1

Lutron has them. I never liked them much. I remember it had a low speed adjustment under the cover. Too low and 1 fan doesn't start. Set too high and you don't have much low speed. It was more of the knob potentiometer style, not the 3 presets.

nakulak

never done it for resi, I just installed a few speed controls for some commercial fans, they run 6 or 8 fans ea. try checking with the manuf to see what they offer.

eds

Lutron has a couple Maestro series in one that we use some, control up to 4 fans as long as each fan is 1 amp or less.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don it and it works fine. Just do not overload the speed control and make sure the internal Fan speed control is at it's faaaaastest:)

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
My 2?

My 2?

I have installed the Lutron Maestro fan controls and like them.

Don't like the Lutron Skylark line personally.

Residential that is.

Power Tech

I have a customer that wants to use 1 speed control switch that will control 2 paddle fans - I think it would work fine but never have done it that way. Has anyone done it that way?

Is there a reason you do not want to use the factory controllers with all the neat buttons? No load problems, set the same code in the fan relay, done.

Status
Not open for further replies.