Home work question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2X

The MDP is a 1200 amp. 3 phase, 4 wire service, and will have four parallel sets of conductors feeding it with four seperate conduits. What is the minimum size of the ungrounded conductor??

I'm not looking for the answer but I can't get past the 4 parallel sets feeding 3 phase. Shouldn't 3 parallel sets feed 3 phase?? Thanks for any help..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They're asking about 4 sets of 4 conductors in each parallel set. What's the smallest conductors that you could use in each set. Basically you want to take the ampacity, 1200 amps and divide by the number of sets required then find you minimum conductor size.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
They're asking about 4 sets of 4 conductors in each parallel set. What's the smallest conductors that you could use in each set. Basically you want to take the ampacity, 1200 amps and divide by the number of sets required then find you minimum conductor size.

Never mind, its me that has a reading comprehension problem.

Last edited:

K2X

Ok ,so I could be putting a black, red, blue,white, in each of the four conduits? And maybe a green? So 510.16 and a little derating I should have my answer? Thanks !! ...Four conduits seemed a little strange but I guess it would work.. :)

jumper

How about A phase, B phase, C phase (ungrounded conductors), Ungrounded conductor phased white, and using an approved conduit as the grounded conductor, and maybe no derating will be needed? Does this make sense?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
How about A phase, B phase, C phase (ungrounded conductors), Ungrounded conductor phased white, and using an approved conduit as the grounded conductor, and maybe no derating will be needed? Does this make sense?

That makes no sense at all??? I think you have chris kennedy disease! Can we just start this thread over?

iMuse97

Ok ,so I could be putting a black, red, blue,white, in each of the four conduits? And maybe a green? So 510.16 and a little derating I should have my answer? Thanks !! ...Four conduits seemed a little strange but I guess it would work.. :)

That's the basic idea; but don't you mean T310.16?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Yes, that is correct. Now you need to figure out the minimum size of the ungrounded conductors by using Table 310.16.

jumper

Ok ,so I could be putting a black(A phase), red(B phase), blue(C phase),Ungrounded Conductors, white(grounded conductor), in each of the four conduits? And maybe a green?( maybe not needed if RMC, IMC, or EMT is used as EGC) So 510.16 and a little derating I should have my answer? Thanks !! ...Four conduits seemed a little strange but I guess it would work.. :)
Most exam questions are for a minumum conductor size and conduit size so I was trying to eliminate a conductor, also trying to teach proper terminology. Is this better?

Also I see where I messed up earlier post, typed too fast and wrote wrong terminology, my apologies. Thank you Chris for pointing this out.

Last edited:

tunny

O,k, I'm missing somthing here, Mike holts book understanding the Nec requirements for grounding and bounding says...When circ cond are run in Paralell 310-4 ,an Equipment grounding cond must be installed with each set and sized in accordance with 250-122..But Nec clearly phrase's 310-4(E) " Where Paralell Equipment grounding conductors "Are used", They shall be sized in accordance with 250-122 ".To me this indicates the raceway could be used as the EGC. Can someone clear this up for me.,Thank's.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
O,k, I'm missing somthing here, Mike holts book understanding the Nec requirements for grounding and bounding says...When circ cond are run in Paralell 310-4 ,an Equipment grounding cond must be installed with each set and sized in accordance with 250-122..But Nec clearly phrase's 310-4(E) " Where Paralell Equipment grounding conductors "Are used", They shall be sized in accordance with 250-122 ".To me this indicates the raceway could be used as the EGC. Can someone clear this up for me.,Thank's.

Yes, metallic raceways are permitted to serve as an EGC. If a wire type EGC is pulled in the conduits then there must be one in each of the parallel conduits sized according to the OCPD ahead of the feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.