277 volt bookshelf lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wferg

I 'am working on a public library and the plans call for mounting 277 volt open lamp type flourescent strip fixtures under the top shelf of the book cases. The shelfs are made of steel and also all of the supports. They are fed from floor boxes. Is this a legal installation per NEC.

iwire

Staff member
I do not know of any NEC rule prohibiting it but if it was me I would have used 120 lighting.

When 277 volt light circuits fail they seem to blow holes in the side of fixtures, spray sparks etc. I don't see the same thing happening with 120 volt lighting circuits.

ultramegabob

I do not know of any NEC rule prohibiting it but if it was me I would have used 120 lighting.

When 277 volt light circuits fail they seem to blow holes in the side of fixtures, spray sparks etc.

I have seen that with older magnetic ballasts, but havent really noticed it happening with the newer electronic ones so much.

jumper

When 277 volt light circuits fail they seem to blow holes in the side of fixtures, spray sparks etc. I don't see the same thing happening with 120 volt lighting circuits.

The engineer who designed our new library must think along the same lines. All regular ceiling troffer lighting is 277v., but cabinet, shelving, and wall sconces are 120v, because they are more prone to damage by patrons or employees.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see nothing wrong with it. If I remember correctly the open voltage on a ballast is about 600 volts whether the supply is 120 or 277 volts. I would be more concerned with that than the input voltage.

iwire

Staff member
I see nothing wrong with it. If I remember correctly the open voltage on a ballast is about 600 volts whether the supply is 120 or 277 volts. I would be more concerned with that than the input voltage.

It is legal but IMO a poor design.

Of all the large retail I have done all the 'high lighting' will be 277 and all the low lighting in shelving, displays etc will be 120.

It's not the voltage the worries me as much as the fault energy of the branch circuit.

Just Sunday I was at a Kohl's store fixing a reloc on the back of a 277 volt 2 x 4 trougher that failed turning about 25% of the back of the fixture black as coal, I fixed another one a few months ago that when the reloc failed it burnt a hole right through the fixtures KO plate without any actual contact.

I have some pictures of that one, I will try to find them.

hardworkingstiff

Just Sunday I was at a Kohl's store fixing a reloc on the back of a 277 volt 2 x 4 trougher that failed turning about 25% of the back of the fixture black as coal, I fixed another one a few months ago that when the reloc failed it burnt a hole right through the fixtures KO plate without any actual contact.

I hate showing my ignorance, but what is a reloc please?

ultramegabob

You lost me, what does the ballast have to do with the branch circuit fault energy?:-?

I was picturing a fluorescent ballast failing, not the wire itself arcing out to the fixture, I have seen large holes blown in magnetic ballast housings, electronic ballast dont seem to do that as much. I see now you were talking about the wiring itself so nevermind:)

Status
Not open for further replies.