• is ALLOWED.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • is NOT ALLOWED.

Votes: 186 91.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

the reason I would not do it is because someone might want to alter the wiring later to use either leg as a Branch circuit conductor, or make a MWBC out of it.

mivey

That being said, I've known many who've made that sort of thing their standard practice, saying things like "fixture whips are sometimes only 16 AWG or 14 AWG," and "this is the way we've always done it." As if the switch is some sort of secondary CB that limits overcurrent to 15 amps. ;)
Jack -leg logic: Well, it's not the switch, it's all that conglomeration of wire leading up to the switch that blocks out a bunch of amps and keeps the #14 from being able to pull 20 amps...kind of like an electrical traffic jam.

HVAC/Plumber logic: The #12 feeder is the supply line and it handles the full flow. The #14 tap doesn't have to handle the full flow like the #12 so will not see 20 amps.

Or how about the educated jack-leg logic: This circuit will never be loaded past 15 amps so it's ok since that breaker will only be needed for a fault condition, which is much higher than 15 amps.

celtic

the reason I would not do it is because someone might want to alter the wiring later to use either leg as a Branch circuit conductor, or make a MWBC out of it.

Would it make you feel better if they upped the 20A CB to a 30A?

We cannot be concerned with what someone will do at some imaginary point in the future.....

no matter what we do, someone will muck it up.....

eventually

:D

electricmanscott

100% has been broken - I'm guessing there is a devils advocate>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I assume you are the 'one'?

Wasn't me.

I hope it was somebody just screwing around because if there is anybody in this forum that still thinks this is allowed they should have thier forum memebership card shredded. :grin:

wbalsam1

Stay Out of Town

Stay Out of Town

When I just voted "NO" I noticed 3 votes for "YES". To those I ask "Please don't wire in my region...we've got enough electrician wannabe's already". :)

Jim W in Tampa

WOW i thought 1 ID 10 T was too high. Maybe we better look again at a test to become a member here. This is scary that we have guys in the field like this. Who do they work for ? BURN HOUSE ELECTRIC ? Do this on my job and you go home early and never returning. If you even need ask why i don't need you.

480sparky

When I just voted "NO" I noticed 3 votes for "YES". To those I ask "Please don't wire in my region...we've got enough electrician wannabe's already". :)

You're saying you voted NO when there was only 3 votes for yes? How do you explain posts 11 and 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.