Two holes on each side of 4" square box

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

Seems to me we went through about 5 pages on this once and the general consensus was it no longer meets code to use screws to hold those boxes to studs on the side of the box. That still doesn't stop me from doing it however, just thought I might mention...

I'm looking around at various catalogs, I wonder if they are for these:

RACO 961

961.jpg

or

Steel City 52171-OW

52171ow_sc1

This looks like it is designed for the purpose.

Using screws to support a box with the holes in the placement as shown is not compliant with 314.23(B)(1).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This looks like it is designed for the purpose.

Using screws to support a box with the holes in the placement as shown is not compliant with 314.23(B)(1).

IMO 314.23(B)(1) does not apply to screwing a box in through the two side holes. It's for nails or screws that pass completely through the box like this old work box. How are the side holes any different than the ones in the back of the box?

Gem%20box%20nails.jpg

mivey

IMO 314.23(B)(1) does not apply to screwing a box in through the two side holes. It's for nails or screws that pass completely through the box like this old work box.
I was typing this exact point before I got to your post.

pete m.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone find it acceptable to use, as an example, drywall screws to attach a single gang plastic box (to wood or metal) if the screws were installed through the side of the box?

Pete

IMO 314.23(B)(1) does not apply to screwing a box in through the two side holes. It's for nails or screws that pass completely through the box like this old work box. How are the side holes any different than the ones in the back of the box?

One difference could be that the side holes would be closer to the terminals on a device. I know if you screw a handy box to a stud this way it is a problem.

220/221

Just out of curiosity, would anyone find it acceptable to use, as an example, drywall screws to attach a single gang plastic box (to wood or metal) if the screws were installed through the side of the box?

Many people find it acceptable and do it in remodel work on a daily basis. A box screwed to a stud is a far superior installation than a cut in box hanging on the drywall.

Technically the mounting screws need to be in the back 1/4" portion of the box and installed in such a manner as not to come into contact with the screw terminals. Realisticly the screw terminals aren't going to contact the anchor screws unless you leave them sticking out an inch :roll:

celtic

One difference could be that the side holes would be closer to the terminals on a device. I know if you screw a handy box to a stud this way it is a problem.

Can you even [legally] install a device and wires in a handy box?

SEO

Ever see a smart box with the screws designed to go thru the side of the box? They work great for remodel work when your are tight to a stud.

480sparky

FWIW, two of my old handbooks and catalogs show fsw boxes without any of these holes.

Of course, they're drawings and not photographs, so the artist may simply decided there's no need to show them in the drawing.

220/221

I
still say that screws or nails inside a box for support of the box, that are not within a 1/4 in of the back of the box is not permitted; metal or plastic.

Where's the logic with a metal box?

If the terminals touch the mounting screws they are certainly going to touch the box.

The manufacturers provide boxes with many different types of brackets that will allow one to install a box in any fashion necessary. The need for screws/nails inside the box is a thing of the past.

Just because a mfg provides a product doen't mean it is any better than something else. I am a big multi use proponent of everything including materials. Just like drywall screws can be used for a LOT more than drywall, a simple 4S box can be used safely and effectively in a LOT of ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.