EMF's at a school

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

Agreement could avert Fredon, NJ school closing

Short version below...click link above for long version:
FREDON -- Students at the Fredon School, scheduled to close in three weeks because of officials' concerns about elevated electromagnetic-field levels at the school, could be forced to attend classes in separate locations, the school superintendent said today.

The high EMF levels were found on the current 230-kilovolt line as the district and Fredon Parents Against the Lines (PALS) were negotiating during the summer with Public Service Electric & Gas about its plans to add a 500-kilovolt line from Susquehanna, Pa., to Roseland in Essex County to the line, school officials have said.

They said the elevated EMF levels could pose a long-term health risk to students and the school's 70 staff members, and want PSE&G, the state's largest utility, to move the lines farther from the school.

JCP&L has denied the lines are carrying elevated EMF levels and questioned the scientific link between high EMF levels and health risks, including leukemia in children.

wirenut1980

So, what are the measured EMF levels inside and outside the school? I have a hard time believing the transmission lines are causing EMF levels as high as the school is claiming. I suspect internal wiring errors causing EMF inside the school.

ghostbuster

Our group has measured many school properties.The article states 19 mg. in the playground nearest the lines.
This is typical,some other schools we have measured have levels greater 300 mg.

Mr. Bill

This is the most detailed report I've seen relating EMF exposure to children.
http://www.bioinitiative.org/report/index.htm

While new ELF limits are being developed and implemented, a reasonable approach would be a 1 mG planning limit for habitable space adjacent to all new or upgraded power lines and a 2 mG limit for all other new construction, It is also recommended for that a 1 mG limit be established for existing habitable space for children and/or women who are pregnant.
19 mG sounds very high after this report.

Last edited:
I have measured E fields of power lines by my house and you have to be very close to the lines in order for the readings to be high. I do not know about the studies of E field effects on people, but I do know that the E field measured close to 10,000 v/m almost right under the lines (less than 50' away). Of course the further away you are, the less the magnitude. At about 200 ft, the measurement was 80 v/m; at 100 ft, 940 v/m and at 75 ft it was 3300 v/m.

Status
Not open for further replies.