Electrician's statement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Simms

Well yesterday I called the insurance co to find out just what they wanted (just b4 I went to the site) and I asked them who was going to cut the check, after being on hold for 5 minutes they decided to put the whole thung off for the time being.
Chris

ivsenroute

Interesting post.

Home inspectors are being bashed on this site all the time, yet none of the electricians here are comfortable putting something in writing stating the condition of the electrical system. Most of your insurance's would not cover this situation anyway.

The AHJ has absolutely no authority to enter or give an opinion for this situation at all. Unless there is a permit that is applied for the AHJ is legally out of the loop on this one.

The electrician can either learn how to properly document a limited visual inspection of the electrical system or refer this person to a home inspector or certified electrical inspection agency/inspector.

The real liability is when you don't find any obvious defects and you have to provide a letter stating that the electrical system appears serviceable. Home inspectors assume that liability every single day and not many other trades are willing to take on that liability in writing or have the proper insurance to do so.

Most major insurance companies perform their own inspection of a home prior to insuring it but the inspection is limited, often performed by the agent themselves. It is more of a observe and document type of inspection. It is more than likely the inspection company already did this, saw some things that they either don't understand or were alarmed by and want the opionion of a qualified electrician.

I would rather use a qualified electrician rather than a licensed electrician because not all areas of the country have licensensing programs that involve testing. Some of you out there are only licensed because you paid a fee and proved you have insurance. For those of you in states or jurisdictions that have a real licensing program, this may be a shock to you. Not all "licenses" are created equal.

If you want to do inspections then be prepared to put your findings in writing both good and bad and assume some liability.

mivey

In the sense that, if there's an electrical failure after an approval, they can be held responsible?
Home inspectors assume practically zero liability. I found that out from a messed up inspection I had done. The wording in their contract has weasel-out clauses that essentially say:
"Well gee, I looked at it and it looked OK from the things I could see but I did not look at everything and am not able to certify that everything is OK. The only things in my report that matters are the things I noted that needed correcting."

acwservices

Interesting post.

I would rather use a qualified electrician rather than a licensed electrician because not all areas of the country have licensensing programs that involve testing. Some of you out there are only licensed because you paid a fee and proved you have insurance. For those of you in states or jurisdictions that have a real licensing program, this may be a shock to you. Not all "licenses" are created equal.

Can you please inform me which states allow licensing by only paying a fee and providing proof of insurance?

growler

Can you please inform me which states allow licensing by only paying a fee and providing proof of insurance?

It's not as if the state will issue a licensed for a fee and insurance there are some states that just don't have a state license. All requirements to do electrical work are handled at the local level. At the local level some areas will want the person to test and others will only want money or to register as an EC to work there. I don't think you will find a major city where you can work without taking some sort of test. Rural areas and smaller towns have their own rules.

There are probalby more but right off states like Missouri, Indiana,Illinois, New York and Pennsylvania don't have a state license. That doesn't mean you could go there and work without a license it just means you may be able to get a license at the local level or you may have to test just like you would in areas that have a state license.

In my opinion having a state license is more simple and easier for everyone but that's just my opinion.

Sparky555

I don't do these very often because the people calling for them want them for free. I offer a whole-house megger, whole-house visual, and quote limited to a home inspection.

bradleyelectric

In a lot of areas in PA you don't need to be licensed, and you don't need to be registered unless you do $2500/ a yr in work. You need to show no proficiency or experience as an electrician to pull a permit. You can pull a permit for your own home or a customers home with no license of registration. Inspections are by township approved inspectors. The inspector does not hold the nonexisting electrical license either. He may be the areas approved building inspector.

iMuse97

In Illinois & Indiana the Local AHJ is the one issuing the electrical licenses, and the quality and quantity of the testing can vary. Often the test required is quite rigorous, but not always.

growler

Home inspectors are being bashed on this site all the time, yet none of the electricians here are comfortable putting something in writing stating the condition of the electrical system. Most of your insurance's would not cover this situation anyway.

The insurance that we carry would not cover what you are doing. You are working as a certified code inspector, you are working as the AHJ or at least for the AHJ. There are no provisions for a private company to do that sort of work in this state anyway. The municipalities hire their own inpectors and don't farm out the work.

There is nothing to keep an EC from being hired to write up a report on the condition of wiring in either residential or commercial as a matter of fact it's often suggested that owners get a licensed electrician ( hopefully qualified ) to check out the condition of their electrical system, Who else could you get to check out the condition of your electrical system? We can't pass or fail anything we can only inform the owner as to the condition of said electrical system. You find anything really bad it's probably best to report it to the AHJ.

In reality an electrician performs a limited inspection every time a homeowner ask them to "check out" the wiring. There is no specific problem to trouble shoot so it's up to the electrician to check out the system for safe operation and to give suggestions based on what they find.

In you type of work as an inspector I would think that you are taking quite a bit of liability but the average home inspector isn't because they are note doing Code inspections they are giving very limited opinions.

Last edited:

growler

In Illinois & Indiana the Local AHJ is the one issuing the electrical licenses, and the quality and quantity of the testing can vary. Often the test required is quite rigorous, but not always.

That's the way it was in many states years ago but most electricians are to young to remember those days. Unfortunately I"m not. :D In some states it wasn't that long ago either.

MarkyMarkNC

I have done partial electrical inspections before when the home inspector thought a panel was too unsafe to open up, and a couple other times when a realtor wanted a second opinion on electrical items from a home inspection report.

What I did is went online and looked at a bunch of home inspection reports, then I added a bunch of wording similar to what they put in their reports -

"This report is a professional opinion based on a visual inspection of the electrical system."

"This report is not an exhaustive technical evaluation."

"This report is not to be considered a guarantee or warranty regarding the conditions of the items inspected."

etc. etc.

dbuckley

Liability is the first thing that I twigged on this; whereas a Home Inspector may get away with his weasally worded contract, an EC would be expected to be an expert in the field of electricity, and if an EC says the intsallation is safe, then if better had be safe. If it subsequently turned out that it wasn't, and in particular through the negligence or lack of competence of the EC whiulst carrying out the inspection, then I'd expect big trouble.

Before providing any sort of statement ny first port of call would be my insurance company, to ensure they are happy to wear me undertaking this work and the associated libility.

Status
Not open for further replies.