billing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey curious how the rest of the country bills.
If a CG calls you to a job to do a couple hours of work. You no not have a relationship with the homeowner and the GC did not give you the name of the owner and contact
1) is it expected for the GC to pay
What is a reasonable time to get paid?
a) 1-10 days
b) 30 days
c) 60 days
d) 90 days
Or:
2) are you expected to contact the owner for payment.
how long should it take to get paid

A-b-c-d-

Thanks

480sparky

1.a.
HoltBlueDot.jpg

growler

Hey curious how the rest of the country bills.
If a CG calls you to a job to do a couple hours of work. You no not have a relationship with the homeowner and the GC did not give you the name of the owner and contact.

Unless I know the GC real well ( I mean like 40 years and after all he's my brother) then I'll want the money at the time of the service call. With residential service and no signed contract then it's pay as you go.

Buck Parrish

a (1 day

You always make sure who's paying the bill and tell them how you expect to get paid. Most people will ask any way, except GC's :)

SEO

Is this a contractor that you have worked for in the past? In any case GC pays. For a new GC you should be paid upon completion of work.
For a repeat GC max of 30 days.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
not a new contractor. Just times are changing and these GC's are trying to hire you but want you to chase the money. I usually get paid within a couple of days from a GC, unless it is a very large job and other arrangements are made.

Customers are trying real hard not to pay.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I usually ask the GC where he'll be after I'm done with the job. I don't mind waiting til the next day, but I require payment right away on almost all jobs.

Some guys that I know are good for it I will let slide until the next time I see them unless I need the money right away.

Buck Parrish

not a new contractor. Just times are changing and these GC's are trying to hire you but want you to chase the money. I usually get paid within a couple of days from a GC, unless it is a very large job and other arrangements are made.

The longer you let it go the harder it is to collect.

CopperTone

i always ask the GC that called me who am I billing when they call. Just something you need to make sure comes out if your mouth during the initial call. I don't get many calls from GC's that I don't know out of the blue anyway - so I know all the GC's that call me.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
This is not a cold calling GC Have worked in the past.

Just wanted to know any rules of thumb out there that others are custom to.
Been doing this a long time just hearing some new swings.

SEO

My office manager won't let a truck roll without a billing address and the terms of payment. On all jobs a P.O. # is issued and many times an invoice is sent out with our electricians, especially small jobs and service work.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My office manager won't let a truck roll without a billing address and the terms of payment. On all jobs a P.O. # is issued and many times an invoice is sent out with our electricians, especially small jobs and service work.

That's good practice. I do the same.

wireguru

too many subs fall into this trap. You are working for the GC, it is his responsibility to pay you regardless if he has been paid by the homeowner. You arent working directly for the homeowner, so it should be of no concern to you how and when they pay. This is one of the things for which the GC is earning his markup.

satcom

too many subs fall into this trap. You are working for the GC, it is his responsibility to pay you regardless if he has been paid by the homeowner. You arent working directly for the homeowner, so it should be of no concern to you how and when they pay. This is one of the things for which the GC is earning his markup.

You can be sure if the GC is paying you $500 he is charging the customer at least $1000 or more for your work, the customer din't pay me, has nothing to do with you being paid, we get paid from a GC at the end of each day, no pay and we do not return until paid for the day plus if he wants us to more work we want it in advance. Do you think any supplier with their brain still working would let a GC leave their store without payment or secured credit. Write this 100 times "I AM NOT A BANK"

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Not really a trap. It's more like a pickle. I don't see many contractors wallowing in the money these days. So it boils down to do you work and wait for payment or do you not work at all. Of course you don't want to work for free and even pay to have the pleasure of doing buisness.

wireguru

Not really a trap. It's more like a pickle. I don't see many contractors wallowing in the money these days. So it boils down to do you work and wait for payment or do you not work at all. Of course you don't want to work for free and even pay to have the pleasure of doing buisness.

it is a trap, and most of these GCs already received the payment they told you they are waiting on, and used it to pay for the last job. Your payment will come from the next job the GC gets. Why should you be floating the GC's costs?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It's a pickle because these guys will pay they are just making you be the bank. It's a pickle as with me as If I choose not to wait then it will be the last job with that guy.
So you either take a 30-60 day billing or don't work.

The crux of this post was about the billing method and what EC's thought was reasonable or not.
Would it be legitimate to ask the EC who was hired by the GC to have to go and track down the money from the owner.
Personally I think it's in bad taste. The Homeowner Hired the GC so as not to deal with the SUB's. No the HO is getting a call from the EC about payment. Unless the EC has a relationship with the HO I don't think it is proper buisness to be calling the HO. He might think all kinds of weird things. Like Is this guy double billing or I paid the GC already.

480sparky

............Homeowner Hired the GC so as not to deal with the SUB's. No the HO is getting a call from the EC about payment. Unless the EC has a relationship with the HO I don't think it is proper buisness to be calling the HO. He might think all kinds of weird things. Like Is this guy double billing or I paid the GC already.

But I have no problems calling and informing the HO that I intend to file a mechanics lein on his property. I'm legally required to do so anyway.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
But I have no problems calling and informing the HO that I intend to file a mechanics lein on his property. I'm legally required to do so anyway.
You are not required to file a lein. Where did you get that Idea. You are however required to file one if you want to collect by the fileing of one. You are not even required in my state to file a pre lim. Should you yes. Do most subs in small jobs. concrete guys do it immediatley.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Oh and by the way , doin that sure makes a friend with the HO who may have no issue with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.