Please help! Couplings in a service mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

That is because we don't want our service drops laying in the yard. :)
Because we are nature-lovers and don't want the squirrels to have to travel all the way down to the ground to reach our transformer poles when the elevated service drop is much easier on them.

celtic

If this mast were on my house I certainly wouldn't want a guy wire added because someone put the coupling on the top of the 10' length of RMC instead of the bottom. :roll:

It might be allowed.....

Servicemast.jpg

...depending on where that coupling is located at.

Exhibit 4, pg 104
http://www.pseg.com/customer/business/new_service/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf

I would rather the coupling at the bottom myself.....or use a longer piece [344.130] and no couplings :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

celtic

IMO the highest support is the one right under the overhang so the coupling could be below that point not above it.

PSEG's Note#4 ~ which was not posted along with the image ~ clarifies this:

The following heights shall be used for determining sizes of un-guyed service entrance masts where the installation does not require larger than 3 inch conduit. The heights are given for the distance from the highest support to the point of attachment for size 2/0 or less service drop wires.

Conduit Size................. Maximum Height
2 Inch ............................2 Feet
2- 1/2 Inch .....................4 Feet
3 Inch ............................7 Feet

I believe you are correct.

220/221

Here, the POCO sets the rules on the mast.

Common sense tells you not to put a coupling above the roof.:roll:

Here, they have an odd rule. No straps below a coupling. I think their intention was to avoid weak points at couplings but they didn't write it correctly.

220/221

They made me move my first strap up above the coupling on this 14' riser (to clear an alleyway)

It was of course strapped toward the top and backbraced as well.

No straps below a coupling is their rule :-? so I had to remove a perfectly good strap and install another one a few inches up. That kind of stupidity kills me.

That put it over the 3' mark but the city had already passed it so.....

DSC01934.jpg

mivey

They made me move my first strap up above the coupling on this 14' riser (to clear an alleyway)

It was of course strapped toward the top and backbraced as well.

No straps below a coupling is their rule :-? so I had to remove a perfectly good strap and install another one a few inches up. That kind of stupidity kills me.

That put it over the 3' mark but the city had already passed it so.....
I agree that it is stupid to make you remove the 1st strap but maybe not so stupid to make you add the second.

220/221

I agree that it is stupid to make you remove the 1st strap but maybe not so stupid to make you add the second.

I would have argured that it's strapped according to NEC but would have simply installed an additional support without too much fuss. Double strapping at the coupling isn't a completely rediculous request.

Removing a support was plain dumb. All because their specs weren't written properly :roll:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can't belive they asked you to remove a strap. I never heard of anything like that. So now you have a unsupported piece of RMC.
You did need the second support you added, but you need the other one also.

That inspector needs a schooling.

JODell

None of that fits

None of that fits

the coupling is above the connection point so the weight load is on a full stick of pipe.
Listed for use? come on.

JODell

Sketches

Sketches

you guys are showing me poco sketches from your areas.
they don't apply here, as GPC has no such wording in their blue book which is what we go by. They hooked us up...no prob.
I still have seen only one reply that gave any kind of a code reference, and I greatly appreciate that one. that's what I was looking for, not opinions and design sketches from 1000 miles away.

hillbilly

you guys are showing me poco sketches from your areas.
they don't apply here, as GPC has no such wording in their blue book which is what we go by. They hooked us up...no prob.
I still have seen only one reply that gave any kind of a code reference, and I greatly appreciate that one. that's what I was looking for, not opinions and design sketches from 1000 miles away.

:confused:
Didn't get the answer that you wanted?

No one here is going to tell you that your installation is OK.;)

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.