controls and shielded cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a large rooftop rooftop unit and need to install 24vac controls and shielded cable to several devices. Is there anthing in the code that will allow CL2P cable and THHN in the same conduit.

hurk27

How about if I reclassify the circuit to a class 1 as in 725.130?

Look in 725.2 Definitions

Class 1 power supply @ 24volts is a power limited and can not be mixed just like class 2

the supply determines the class

In general Class 1 non power limited circuits are line voltage circuits, with a 1k va limit, used many in motor and machine control, but not limited to it, such as high power audio output which can require Class 1 wiring methods.

I don't think I have ever seen a class 1 power supply, with a 24 volt output?

Last edited:

hurk27

How about if I reclassify the circuit to a class 1 as in 725.130?

Look in 725.2 Definitions

Do you think your going to find a class 1 power supply @ 24volts?

the supply determines the class

In general Class 1 circuits are line voltage circuits, with a 1k va limit, use many in motor and michine control, but not limited to it, such as high power audio output which can require Class 1 wiring methods.

I don't think I have ever seen a class 1 power supply, with a 24 volt output?

hurk27

I guess I'm a little confused on this also after reading 725.130(A) exception(2)?

if they can be reclassified, it does not say to which it applies.

Heres what I have always thought or been taught at one time or another, Class 1 circuits have three different types,

1. Class 1 power-limited circuits.
2. Class 1 power-limited remote-control and signaling circuits
3. Class 1 Remote-Control and Signaling Circuits (line voltage)

Somewhere I got that 1 & 2 class 1 circuits can not be installed with power and light circuits, but 3 can.
This is why I thought reclassifying a class 2 circuit to a class 1 would not relive the requirement of keeping it out of power and light raceways

but 725.48(B)(1) only speaks of class 1 being install with power circuits that are functionally Associated? it does not disseminate which one.

But no where can I find where, 1 & 2 are limited to non power circuit raceways?

I guess 725 is still confusing:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.