Siemans Service Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This panel is in service right now . . .

DSC00676.JPG
How, if this is the other end of the wires???? :-?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't know why anyone would use a 12/24 panel these days in a replacement.

where are the AFCI's Your area does not need them. Wee need to. Just like if you replace a outlet in a kichen it must be replaced with a GFCI.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is not uncommon to find a bonding screw installed when it shouldn't be. The practice of the manufacturer putting it in place but not tightening it will make this happen more often.

Derick

The box bonding screw for Siemans service panels are being installed at the factory, but
are not driven in all the way. I expect that it is assumed that the installer will tighten it.

Imo it is a poor practice because it appears to be properly installed and it is likely that it will not get tightened. They should leave it unattached.

Has anyone noticed this? and what is your opinion? I have a call in to a Siemans rep. and will question him regarding it.

I wouldn?t waste my time to bother with calling. It's my job to make sure all nuts and bolts or whatever is in place and torked.Now going back to your panel,
Most of the panelboards we use come like this and I think there is a reason for it. They come with 2 isolated bars and it is our option to use one of them as a ground (by tightening the bond screw to the frame) and use the other as a neutral.(in this application make sure to remove any jumpers between bars.
Or use them both as neutral and remove bond screw and install own ground bar.
And I wouldn?t bother with counting the treads on the screw as well :)

gndrod

How, if this is the other end of the wires???? :-?

I get a weird feeling that this Zinsco will remain top riser loaded and is still being used as the 100A main disco, the feeders to the new 4-wire are the ones just hanging there ready to be hooked up. At least the H2O tank is quake strapped.

Matt, What part of SF is this located?

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
This one has been beaten to death but the general consensus is that afcis are not required when you change a service or panel. I too agree with this.

we'll I still think they are required. Those look like nice new branch circuit wires to me.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Even if they are bran' spankin new it still doesn't mean they are required.

New or not changing a panel does not mandate the use of AFCIs.
interesting I just got a statement from a local AHJ about the use of AFCI's in a panel changeout. The answer was " well yes if the dwelling is wired for it. Yah know some of those older homes are not wired for them. cuz the may false trip. " I said are you reffering to MWBC or the fact that the circuit in the bedroom can be in the bathroom and the hall and the kitchen" he said No , Just that the homes are not wired like today.,
I said Alrighty then...

3 more to go!!!

gndrod

CAFCI's and remod changeout

CAFCI's and remod changeout

Even if they are bran' spankin new it still doesn't mean they are required.

New or not changing a panel does not mandate the use of AFCIs.

There is a fine line of agreement with this statement to the point where an extended circuit only requires installing CAFCI protection for that branch circuit dependent on after a certain date in accordance to local AHJ adopted codes. (I.e. WA State 296-46B-210...After 2005 Bedrooms only) The photo from Mark seems to be a J-Box splice and not a true extension. At least that is what it looks like. rbj

TOOL_5150

I get a weird feeling that this Zinsco will remain top riser loaded and is still being used as the 100A main disco, the feeders to the new 4-wire are the ones just hanging there ready to be hooked up. At least the H2O tank is quake strapped.

Matt, What part of SF is this located?

This wasnt even close to SF, id rather not get into details. A union electrician did the work though.

~Matt

gndrod

This wasnt even close to SF, id rather not get into details. A union electrician did the work though.

~Matt
Matt,
SF was close to Bay Area, sorry about that. The wireman must be commercial or needs a resi course. The install isn't even close to a safe buyoff and I might add was a waste of 1/0 cu if the 100 A disco was reused. Like I mentioned earlier he needed help. rbj

TOOL_5150

Matt,
SF was close to Bay Area, sorry about that. The wireman must be commercial or needs a resi course. The install isn't even close to a safe buyoff and I might add was a waste of 1/0 cu if the 100 A disco was reused. Like I mentioned earlier he needed help. rbj

It was 2/0.... for 100A. :roll: Its not a safe install. He did 2 years of resi. This work was not inspected [of course]

You are right, SF is bay area, which is where I live. But this was about 2 hours away from where I live.

~Matt

hillbilly

I honestly don't see how anyone who calls themselves a electrician....commercial, residential...or whatever could think that this installation is OK.:confused:

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.