gas pump wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a multi part question ? can i run emt in to the top of a gas pump 514.7 i think says yes ?
and if the circuit is Intrinsically safe do i need an explosionproof fitting or can i just seal the conduit with duckseal ?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You have made a fairly large leap in logic here. While 514.7, or more specifically 511.7, permits EMT above a Class I location, it doesn?t necessarily permit it to be run into a Class I location from above.

Assuming it contains the IS wiring described in ?part 2,? there are several things for consideration:

• The wiring must be installed per a control drawing [504.10(A)]
  • A seal must be installed at the dispenser penetration. [514.9(A)]
  • The seal should be explosion-proof ? even with IS wiring. [With all due respect to CMP 14; they blew this between 504.30(A)(2) and 504.70. If any seal into an enclosure must be explosionproof, all seals into the same enclosure must be. Unfortunately, unless it is prevented by the control drawing, there is no direct NEC interpretation that would require it.]
  • The grounding/bonding requirements of 504.50 and 504.60 must still be observed. These also affect installations in the unclassified part of a run.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
here is a multi part question ? can i run emt in to the top of a gas pump 514.7 i think says yes ?
and if the circuit is Intrinsically safe do i need an explosionproof fitting or can i just seal the conduit with duckseal ?

Nope.
How can you provide a seal-off. duct seal is not a alternative from what I know. looks like rigid and chico are gonna do it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
By the way is'nt IS wires usially to sensors in or about the storage tank. These wires may have the most exposure to an explosive situation. Correct me if I am wrong.

Derick

By the way is'nt IS wires usially to sensors in or about the storage tank. These wires may have the most exposure to an explosive situation. Correct me if I am wrong.

Once you are inside pump sump or dispenser sump (IS circuitry is exposed)
Nothing wrong with that since all that cable is signal going back to TMS.But probe,sensor,interstitial splice to Belden has to be made inside CL1 Div1 box.

wallyworld

Once you are inside pump sump or dispenser sump (IS circuitry is exposed)
Nothing wrong with that since all that cable is signal going back to TMS.But probe,sensor,interstitial splice to Belden has to be made inside CL1 Div1 box.

You mean TLS? Veeder Root allows a flying splice in certain cases, saw cut wiring for instance

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Been a very long time since I worked on a filling station.
Is Veeder root the only manufacture of those.
I'd like to have stock in that company.

Derick

You mean TLS? Veeder Root allows a flying splice in certain cases, saw cut wiring for instance

What do you mean by saw cut wiring? Did you mean cut into existing conduit or so?
Sometimes I need to that. It depends how the existing conditions looks like.
For a sake say it?s done by the book and I am outside of CL1 Div.2 (somewhere between C-store and Fuel Island).I would cut existing black top,concrete,whatever to access existing conduit. I would install 3.5 box
for a reasons.1-most economical with traffic lid, 2-big enough to install new seal off (on existing conduit going back to fuel islands),3-whatever splice
I had to make its made in this box.

I can't figure out meaning of flying splice.What is it?

Thank you

hardworkingstiff

What do you mean by saw cut wiring? Did you mean cut into existing conduit or so?
Sometimes I need to that. It depends how the existing conditions looks like.
For a sake say it?s done by the book and I am outside of CL1 Div.2 (somewhere between C-store and Fuel Island).I would cut existing black top,concrete,whatever to access existing conduit. I would install 3.5 box
for a reasons.1-most economical with traffic lid, 2-big enough to install new seal off (on existing conduit going back to fuel islands),3-whatever splice
I had to make its made in this box.

I can't figure out meaning of flying splice.What is it?

Thank you

Go here

http://www.veeder.com/page/search.html

Click on this
TLS-4xx Site Prep and Installation Manual (577013-879 Rev. A)

Look on page 36.

Status
Not open for further replies.