Motor name plate connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARUSA

The first thing I want to do is say thanks for all the people who make up this forum because for you guy's I take a lot of knowledge every day and that help me progres a lot in my life.My question is:What is the difference between the two types of Conneccion showing on the nameplate ? Run means run all the time?and starting means star and stop like a regular motor connections?Is 4 of this motors inside the Boiler room and I'm trying to make the right connection.Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is the difference between the two types of Conneccion showing on the nameplate?
The difference is that the motor is actually electrically connected as a wye when starting, and switched to being connected as a Delta once up to speed. This switching must be done by a Y-start/D-run motor controller.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
This switching must be done by a Y-start/D-run motor controller.

Some of these motors are rated for full voltage starting wired as delta and may not be connected to a wye/delta starter. In that case they should be wired in the Run configuration as shown. Check the motor spec's.

mcclary's electrical

What happen if we leave the motor connected in the starting position all the time? Can we damage the motor?

I t will not damage the motor, however the motor will have no torque. We were called to troublshoot a 200 that had never operated correctly since day one. It would run most of the time, but when heavily loaded, it would stall. They had been fighting with it for about a month. I checked the motor and saw they were starting this accross the line, but had it wired for WYE. I wired for delta and it ran perfect. It could then be heavily loaded, which in this case meant they could run alot more pressure on hydraulic unit, allowing the machine to lift more weight.

DARUSA

I t will not damage the motor, however the motor will have no torque. We were called to troublshoot a 200 that had never operated correctly since day one. It would run most of the time, but when heavily loaded, it would stall. They had been fighting with it for about a month. I checked the motor and saw they were starting this accross the line, but had it wired for WYE. I wired for delta and it ran perfect. It could then be heavily loaded, which in this case meant they could run alot more pressure on hydraulic unit, allowing the machine to lift more weight.
But the picture shows Y-Delta on the starting position.How can I choice Y or Delta if the motor shows the same connection for both?,Or you mean I have to connect in the Run position!!

mcclary's electrical

But the picture shows Y-Delta on the starting position.How can I choice Y or Delta if the motor shows the same connection for both?,Or you mean I have to connect in the Run position!!

IMO the firstconfiguration is for y-delta starting. If you're using a y-start, delta run motor starter, you would configure for starting. If you're starting accross the line, you would configure for run.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In some of the araes I have worked, just the thought of a 200 HP started across the line gives POCO heart flutters :)

In some of the araes I have worked, just the thought of a 200 HP started across the line gives POCO heart flutters :)

Pretty much sum up most POCO will be watching it by the numbers of starts of that large motor I know from my past experince I have one company did have 500 HP motors that start DOL instead of Ystart-D run format and the lights did flicker and few spots along the POCO line have voltage regulator and it nearly knock them off commison.

But for much larger one like 10,000 HP motor I know two customer have them every time they have get it on line they will have to call POCO to give them a head up so they can boost the VR to handle the starting current.

Merci,Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.