is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thiking this is not right.......can you attach a branch ckt. conduit from a run of bus duct?
Im sure the duct would support the weight of this lil 3/4" conduit, but it sure don't feel right.

Chris6245

So, I'm just taking a shot here. The conduit and branch circuit don't originate from the buss duct, you just want to use the buss duct as a means of support?

Jim W in Tampa

OK guess i read to much into this. No i don't think using it as support is ok. Probably can hold it but how to we arrive at what it it can hold ? 1/2 , 3/4 , 1 , etc i think bad idea and pretty sure one sytstem can't support the other. I WIRE will be her shortly with number.

Chris6245

Not sure of code section but my first thought is no. But I think you would be able to use the threaded rod that supports the buss duct to support your conduit. Or even clamp to the brackets that hold the duct.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Not sure of code section but my first thought is no. But I think you would be able to use the threaded rod that supports the buss duct to support your conduit. Or even clamp to the brackets that hold the duct.

I like your Idea.

tkb

I wouldn't support the conduit from the buss duct, I would use the buss duct supports to hang from.

Buss Duct:
Article 100
"Raceway. An enclosed channel of metal or nonmetallic materials designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or busbars, with additional functions as permitted in this Code.
...and busways."

Article 368 - Busways
Electricians generally call busways - busduct. Busduct is covered in Article 368, Busways.

300.11(B) Raceways Used as Means of Support.

In general, raceways are not permitted as a means of support.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't support the conduit from the buss duct, I would use the buss duct supports to hang from.

That's what I'd do. Also, checking on the listed weight that the supports can hold wouldn't be a bad idea.

iMuse97

Thanks everyone for your help, I wil try to enlighten my boss on this matter.

No doubt, it seems easy at the time to mount the raceway (3/4" conduit) to the other raceway (busduct), but this method is eventually a problem, when the supporting system needs modification and the supported system is intended to remain in place.

I said it didn't seem right; you thought so from the start, and now you've got Pierre CB giving you the basic code info. that says it is not permitted. Case closed--or not as your boss determines. I've been in that situation, too... not so much anymore b/c I'd be arguing with myself. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.