AFCI and room names

Status
Not open for further replies.

donniet

Does an area which is a small nook off of the kithcen in which the plans call a "breakfast room", need to be protected by an AFCI? What about a room in which the plans call a country kitchen, that includes an area to have a kitchen table to eat at? An inspector is telling me that if there is an eating area with aq table in any kitchen, it needs to be AFCI protected since it is a "similar area" to a dining room. Thoughts???

rcarroll

For the breakfast room or, breakfast "nook" as it's called around here, I could see AFI protection. I'm not sure what a "country kitchen" is, tho. Does it meet the definition of a kitchen? If not, & not knowing the layout, I would guess AFI there as well.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Hm-m-m-m. Curious distinction.

I occasionally work in small kitchen resets. A 10' x 8' kitchen will have a refir, sink and range with counter and the little half table against one wall that will permit a person to perch and wait for the timer to ring, or to keep the cook company. The table is hardly bigger than the bottom of two bags of groceries.

For that matter, the "table", in many cases, is a permanent counter top jutting out from the wall 18 or 24 inches. . . no legs, just attached to the wall without a base below the counter top.

Is this little 10' x 8' walled area actually two different areas? That is, a kitchen area and a dining-similar area?

cadpoint

If you think of it as a habitable space, I think you'll do better.

Granted people might take shelter in the bathrooom or the utility room, habitable not so much...
both are covered by there own requirements anywas, i.e. the bathroom and the laundry circuit.

In a sun room, outer foyer, outer dining area, entrance causeway, any other goofy name thay can come up with... they got you! :D

Power Tech

Hm-m-m-m. Curious distinction.

I occasionally work in small kitchen resets. A 10' x 8' kitchen will have a refir, sink and range with counter and the little half table against one wall that will permit a person to perch and wait for the timer to ring, or to keep the cook company. The table is hardly bigger than the bottom of two bags of groceries.

For that matter, the "table", in many cases, is a permanent counter top jutting out from the wall 18 or 24 inches. . . no legs, just attached to the wall without a base below the counter top.

Is this little 10' x 8' walled area actually two different areas? That is, a kitchen area and a dining-similar area?

That's my camper.:grin:

ceb58

I would say it doesn't because of 210.52 B 1. It says that dinning rooms and breakfast nooks can be supplied from the SABC which are GFCI protected.

cadpoint

Well it was a new age vogue large kitchen and the overly large outer area but not a "dinning area" on the print, I really didn't have an leg to stand on!

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I say it does require AFCI protection. Article 100 defines a kitchen and I do not think it meets that definition.

Ohio (2006 RCO) and the IRC (International Residential Code) call a kitchen a habitable space. So the habitable 'rule' does not apply if you are trying to make all habitable areas (spaces) AFCI protected.

rcarroll

I would say it doesn't because of 210.52 B 1. It says that dinning rooms and breakfast nooks can be supplied from the SABC which are GFCI protected.

'08 NEC 210.12(B) is specific to dining rooms & similar areas. To me, a breakfast nook is a similar area. Even if you feed the receps from the GFI prtected kitchen counter receps, the dining & nook receps will still need AFI protection.

pfalcon

No AFCI is required because I'm from Indiana.

Indiana Electrical Code said:
675 IAC 17-1.8-9 Section 210.12(B); dwelling units
Authority: IC 22-13-2-2; IC 22-13-2-13
Affected: IC 22-12; IC 22-13; IC 22-14; IC 22-15; IC 36-7
Sec. 9. Delete Section 210.12(B) without substitution. (Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission; 675 IAC 17-1.8-9;
filed Jul 27, 2009, 10:39 a.m.: 20090826-IR-675090140FRA) NOTE: Agency cited as 675 IAC 17-1.8-10, which was renumbered
by the Publisher as 675 IAC 17-1.8-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.