What brand of panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MF Dagger

"The name Square D originated from one of the company's first products, a new safety switch with the company's new logo, a "D" (for Detroit) inside a square. The product quickly became the industry standard and many customers began asking for "those square D switches." The trademark was developed in 1915, and the name Square D Company was formally adopted in 1917. To this day, Square D is one of the few companies ever named by its customers."
-squared.com

SEO

"The name Square D originated from one of the company's first products, a new safety switch with the company's new logo, a "D" (for Detroit) inside a square. The product quickly became the industry standard and many customers began asking for "those square D switches." The trademark was developed in 1915, and the name Square D Company was formally adopted in 1917. To this day, Square D is one of the few companies ever named by its customers."
-squared.com

Interesting post.

peter d

Is anything made by Square D still made in Detroit anymore? :-? It seems like all their stuff is assembled in other states of Mexico.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Is anything made by Square D still made in Detroit anymore? :-? It seems like all their stuff is assembled in other states of Mexico.
Seriously, Square D moved their manufacturing from Detroit to Lexington KY in the late 50's-mid 60's. Square D has manufactured their QO breakers across the world for many decades, twenty five years ago they even were made in Ireland.

-squared.com

That is true and I know one engine manufacter done the same thing as well oringally it was called GM Diesel and the IHC { International Haverst Company } did have optional GM engine on some of their truck so the IHC company nicked them " Detroit Diesel " and the name was stuck after one company call them by other company and used that name for many years and that name still stuck around even thru it was brought out by Penske Company quite few years back.

Merci,Marc

P.S. if need the link for details above let me know I will post it

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I used to love Square D Homeline. My old boss installed them and also would use the Homeline breakers because they fit every panel. That seemed reasonable at the time.

Now that I know a little more about UL listings and insurance claims, I use the proper breaker for the panel. Also I hate how large the AFCI's are from Homeline. They cover up a number of terminals on the neutral bar.

Now I think I'm starting to lean towards Murray equipment.

growler

When you talk about Square-D you may as well say Schneider Electric. Schneider Electric is a huge global corporation. They also own Merlin Gerin. So to find Square D products made anywhere in the world is not surprising.

peter d

When you talk about Square-D you may as well say Schneider Electric. Schneider Electric is a huge global corporation. They also own Merlin Gerin. So to find Square D products made anywhere in the world is not surprising.

Now that you mention it, all the major electrical equipment manufacturers are large multinationals -Schneider, Siemens, GE and Eaton.

peter d

I
Now that I know a little more about UL listings and insurance claims, I use the proper breaker for the panel. Also I hate how large the AFCI's are from Homeline. They cover up a number of terminals on the neutral bar.

Now I think I'm starting to lean towards Murray equipment.

I concur. I have always liked Square D but have made the change for the same reason, especially now that so many circuits need AFCI protection. The Siemens/Murray AFCI's are the size of a regular breaker and that's a big plus in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.