I've seen it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

trusdall84

OK, those cables would really love some supporting and securing, and 5 NM cables through a 3/4" knockout is excessive.

But I'm not really seeing anything that looks that bad. At least, I'm not seeing anything bad enough to warrant pulling the meter. What is it that you guys see that looks so bad?

I'm not siding with the people who grow this stuff, but do you think there may have been just a little bit of politics going on with the decision to pull the meter??

ummm, the ground was being used for a neutral, and for a hot leg. I think that was the point of pulling the meter. They also were running 14 awg off of 20 amp breakers, so the wire would fry before the breaker would trip.

e57

Why not if He's got a permit. Money is money. I hate potheads I hate employees like that. Today money is money.
I like green money too - but not fond of the method involved in getting it - I'm fortunate enough to be able to choose who for and when I work... (Other than my little stint off... Which is over... Thankfully.) Even if it is 'legal' in this State - it is not federally, and nothing I want to be involved in.

They also were running 14 awg off of 20 amp breakers, so the wire would fry before the breaker would trip.
Oh - don't get me started.... :roll: There are many here who would feel that 20A OCP is just fine for #14 - if it is on an AC unit or anything else listed in 240.4(G).... (I am not one of them) :roll: But if running some 1000W MH lamps - it will of course bust into flames.... :D Sorry - this is just one more example of the contradictions in the minds of many and the code itself.

iwire

Staff member
Oh - don't get me started.... :roll: There are many here who would feel that 20A OCP is just fine for #14 - if it is on an AC unit or anything else listed in 240.4(G).... (I am not one of them) :roll:

That makes you mistaken and the others correct.:grin:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Take a look closer.
14-2 0n 20 amp breaker
8-2 used as a feeder breakerd at 50 amps.
Water heater time/clocks rated at 30-40 amps on a 50 amp breaker.
No strapping NM wire run all over the place in a finished space.
I did not take a pic of the grow rooms but the lights had open splices.
The outlets had open grounds.
Just to name a few.

This along with the other posts, and now I'm starting to see why they pulled the meter.

Steve

Mongo1953

*puff puff* "hey, man, like wheres this wire go?" *BZZZZTT* "like - I don't think it goes there, man"

cheech+chong.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I like green money too - but not fond of the method involved in getting it - I'm fortunate enough to be able to choose who for and when I work... (Other than my little stint off... Which is over... Thankfully.) Even if it is 'legal' in this State - it is not federally, and nothing I want to be involved in..

I don't see the issue in performing an electrical installation if there is a permit. It's illegal to drive faster than 70 MPH but there are many sports cars that will do over a 130MPH. Not the best analogy but one for thought. Money is money and if the cash or check is comming my way for some earned work who's to say.

[/quote] Oh - don't get me started.... :roll: There are many here who would feel that 20A OCP is just fine for #14 - if it is on an AC unit or anything else listed in 240.4(G).... (I am not one of them) :roll: But if running some 1000W MH lamps - it will of course bust into flames.... :D Sorry - this is just one more example of the contradictions in the minds of many and the code itself.[/quote]

Where in the code does it allow 14 ga to have a 20 amp breaker?

danickstr

open air and 14 can go to like 25 amps or so, I think. I definitely would not say that they should not have pulled the meter. I am all for safety first. This is a serious hazard. But they did stay within the limits of only mild insanity.

Glad it got discovered before anyone got hurt or the neighborhood burnt down.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I wonder if that's a niche market that one could get into. Wiring up all the lights and fans and timers for these budding grow rooms.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't see the issue in performing an electrical installation if there is a permit. It's illegal to drive faster than 70 MPH but there are many sports cars that will do over a 130MPH. Not the best analogy but one for thought. Money is money and if the cash or check is comming my way for some earned work who's to say.
Oh - don't get me started.... :roll: There are many here who would feel that 20A OCP is just fine for #14 - if it is on an AC unit or anything else listed in 240.4(G).... (I am not one of them) :roll: But if running some 1000W MH lamps - it will of course bust into flames.... :D Sorry - this is just one more example of the contradictions in the minds of many and the code itself.[/quote]

Where in the code does it allow 14 ga to have a 20 amp breaker?[/quote]

I wonder if that's a niche market that one could get into. Wiring up all the lights and fans and timers for these budding grow rooms.

That's kinda what I was getting at. If the city allows a permit money is money. Cash paid not a problem for me.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
:-?
open air and 14 can go to like 25 amps or so, I think. I definitely would not say that they should not have pulled the meter. I am all for safety first. This is a serious hazard. But they did stay within the limits of only mild insanity.

Glad it got discovered before anyone got hurt or the neighborhood burnt down.

14-2 nm on a 20 amp breaker. Are smokin some of that funny stuff? :-?

76nemo

Curious.

Curious.

I lived in northern Cali. before this whole medical licensing came out. I have a cousin who's 80% paralyzed and he has a legal card to grow up to so many plants.
My question, simply out of curiousity, is how are permits pulled? What, you get a license/medical card and it's registered by the State? Where are the lines drawn, and what is accountable to the electrician? If he/she has a license, can you wire it to their any given spec's:confused:

Is it just justified by # of plants or sq. footage, 'er what??? How does the permit see it? This has me scratching my tail. Definetly a different discussion!!!!!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I lived in northern Cali. before this whole medical licensing came out. I have a cousin who's 80% paralyzed and he has a legal card to grow up to so many plants.
My question, simply out of curiousity, is how are permits pulled? What, you get a license/medical card and it's registered by the State? Where are the lines drawn, and what is accountable to the electrician? If he/she has a license, can you wire it to their any given spec's:confused:

Is it just justified by # of plants or sq. footage, 'er what??? How does the permit see it? This has me scratching my tail. Definetly a different discussion!!!!!

I'm not following you at all. How is this any different from any other install? The fact that someone has a medical permit has no bearing at all on what can be installed. You still have to install everything per the code.

Steve

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I'm not following you at all. How is this any different from any other install? The fact that someone has a medical permit has no bearing at all on what can be installed. You still have to install everything per the code.

Steve
I agree realatively no difference. There may be some Zoning issues if it is considered a farm maybe.

76nemo

Sorry if I sounded blunt. I just can't imagine wiring a high tech garden or any grass garden for a home owner, legal or not. K, so my question was/is,.....Tommy Chong wants a 25' by 20" room set up for continuous harvest. Do you legally have to ask to see his license, or what? I had an old high school friend that wanted one wired to the teeth. I told him he'd always be my friend, but I wanted no part of it.

So maybe you answered my question, it's no different than adding a bathroom in CA's eyes? So what, the State checks to see if they have a medical card or what? I've never done any type of work like that. Just seems odd to me. Maybe Cali is just that laxed.

My question may have seemed irrelevant, I just can't imagine legally wiring a grow space for a HO:confused:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sorry if I sounded blunt. I just can't imagine wiring a high tech garden or any grass garden for a home owner, legal or not. K, so my question was/is,.....Tommy Chong wants a 25' by 20" room set up for continuous harvest. Do you legally have to ask to see his license, or what? I had an old high school friend that wanted one wired to the teeth. I told him he'd always be my friend, but I wanted no part of it.

So maybe you answered my question, it's no different than adding a bathroom in CA's eyes? So what, the State checks to see if they have a medical card or what? I've never done any type of work like that. Just seems odd to me. Maybe Cali is just that laxed.

My question may have seemed irrelevant, I just can't imagine legally wiring a grow space for a HO:confused:
I really don't know what would be required other than the standard buiding permit. If the city want's to issue it the so be it. I guess I can sit on my High Horse and let someone else make the money. Anyhow all I did was disconnect everything so they could get power restored.
I can just see the permit app.
" electrical and ventilation for Cannibus Farm" :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.