Class ! Div. 2 with classroom above

Status
Not open for further replies.

moresi

Wiring a large ambulance building addition with new classified maintenance bays (Class I Div. 2) with second story classrooms which are unclassified and to be wired in NM cable. Ambulance bay circuits to be type MC cable. My question is I have some in floor power and multimedia ports serving classrooms that are going to be in floor above classified bay space. What is my best material option to supply these floor ports? MC for power but what to best run Low voltage wiring in?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Wiring a large ambulance building addition with new classified maintenance bays (Class I Div. 2) with second story classrooms which are unclassified and to be wired in NM cable. Ambulance bay circuits to be type MC cable. My question is I have some in floor power and multimedia ports serving classrooms that are going to be in floor above classified bay space. What is my best material option to supply these floor ports? MC for power but what to best run Low voltage wiring in?
Are there any penetrations or other means that would permit intercommunication of gases from the classified location to the unclassified space? If not, any appropriate underfloor wiring method should be fine; otherwise, I'd be inclined to use some form of ITC. (Art 727) I'd also want to review a few details for potential sealing issues.

moresi

Thanks for reply

No penetrations that I see that would allow gasses from unclassified space to classified. My intent is to serve the underfloor power and data ports from panel that will be located in nonclassified classroom space. Poer wiring will be in MC. My bigger concern is what to run all the data, audio, and communication wiring in to this underfloor space. The wires will be passing in space that is considerd classified. I also will be speaking with AHJ

moresi

Is this scenario even classified based on 2008 Code?

Is this scenario even classified based on 2008 Code?

I have been reading up on my original post and originally was going on what the original wiring method (MC cable) was. It now appears that this new garage bay area may not even be classified as it seems to fall under the area of minor repair garage. So I start to thumb over my older code books and feel that this may be why it was originally wired as a Class I location. It apperas that with 2008 code I can now make the argument that space is not classified. Obviously I will get AHJ's take.

Status
Not open for further replies.