control wiring in VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it acceptable to run a standard twisted shielded control wire into a vfd and terminate on the low voltage terminal strip, inside a drive cabinet that is 600v rated? because everybody in the control industry does it. has it failed inspection?????????

buldogg

is it acceptable to run a standard twisted shielded control wire into a vfd and terminate on the low voltage terminal strip, inside a drive cabinet that is 600v rated? because everybody in the control industry does it. has it failed inspection?????????

The low voltage cables need to be seperated from high voltage cables per manufacturers instructions.

define high voltage?

define high voltage?

Nothing wrong with installing cables of different votages in the same conduit, or enclosure, as long as the cables are rated for the highest voltage applied.
Belding makes a "blue hose" data cable that is rated for 600 volts. ------ >> 600V Data Highway Cable — UL Type TC
A DataTray? cable designed for cable tray use in industrial applications. Cable can occupy same tray or conduit as 600V power cables. Now if your talking about real high voltage (over 600 volts) then Im not sure

lenny cordero

how to get a low voltage license in south florida

by High voltage i am only talking 460v. The vfd instructions call for twisted shielded wire so i would think i am good as long as i keep the wires off of each other. thoughts????????????????????

drbond24

My question would be: How else would you do it?

The motor terminals, whatever voltage they may be, and the control wire terminals are just an inch apart inside the drive. How could you install them without getting them close together?

You're fine, especially if you're using shielded control cable.

We've got at least a couple of dozen drives that are controlling 600 V motors and have 24 VDC or 4-20 mA control cables inside the same enclosure. They work fine.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
My question would be: How else would you do it?

The motor terminals, whatever voltage they may be, and the control wire terminals are just an inch apart inside the drive. How could you install them without getting them close together?

You're fine, especially if you're using shielded control cable.

We've got at least a couple of dozen drives that are controlling 600 V motors and have 24 VDC or 4-20 mA control cables inside the same enclosure. They work fine.

I agree. These low voltage signaling and control cables are eventually connected to the VFD and must enter these enclosures. A good practice is to try not to run the control wiring physically paralleled with each other. Try to cross at angles if they must come in contact with each other. Now , I do suggest control and signaling cables should not share the same raceway with VFD input and output conductors.

The poster above should have said cables rated at the same temperature can share conduits ect...not voltage :)

Status
Not open for further replies.