210.70(a)(2)(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

Hey Guys, 210.70(A)(2)(B) states:
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached
garages with electric power, at least one wall switch?
controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination
on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits.

Now the exception is :Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c): In hallways,
in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central,
or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

We do a lot of room additions where there needs to be a light at the outside door or a motion detector.
With that being said, many times we install motion detector lights outside on the wall or soffit because its an easier install, than installing a switch and a light.

There are some builders now that are trying to install a solar power light at egress so they don't have to hire an electrician.
I keep reading the code and I'm at a loss.

Is this legal?

dcspector

Remote, central or automatic are the key words. How does this solar powered luminaire work? Stored energy and is activated by motion or cell in the dark times?

Last edited:

dcspector

Sorry to re post but see definition of outlet. Simply putting a solar powered luminaire out there all by it's lonesome is not the intent of the code. OUTLET: a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment. Then see Definition of Utilization Equipment.....Lighting is there.

480sparky

Remote, central or automatic are the key words. How does this solar powered luminaire work? Stored energy and is activated by motion or cell in the dark times?

Yep. Simply a solar cell that charges a battery during the day. Sensors detect motion, and if it's dark out, the light comes on.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would have to agree with Greg. It doesn't say a luminaire must be installed, it says an outlet must be installed to provide illumination, so of course we know that a fixture must be installed also attached to the outlet.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Hey Guys, 210.70(A)(2)(B) states:
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached
garages with electric power, at least one wall switch?
controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination
on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits.

Now the exception is :Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c): In hallways,
in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central,
or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

We do a lot of room additions where there needs to be a light at the outside door or a motion detector.
With that being said, many times we install motion detector lights outside on the wall or soffit because its an easier install, than installing a switch and a light.

There are some builders now that are trying to install a solar power light at egress so they don't have to hire an electrician.
I keep reading the code and I'm at a loss.

Is this legal?

I don't think the intent of the code was to allow low voltage DC lighting systems of any type, especially solar powered ones, qualify as required lighting.

For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached
garages with electric power,

I would think that the intent of the code was to use said power for the lighting required.

Status
Not open for further replies.