Voltage Too High

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

Just got back from a call and the voltage was 492 / 496/ 500.

The wires to the pumping panel were burned up, the reason for the call.

The wire was burned due to a loose connection.

I told the customer to call the POCO and set up a trouble call about the voltage.

He asked me if the voltage being higher would make the current consumed.

I told him we are charged by watts and it could be pulling more because of the higher voltage.

Can anyone set me straight on this?

Oh anyone have a lead on a Square D, size 3 pumping panel fuse clip and switch assembly, 100 amp 480V?

Last edited:

skeshesh

why not?

why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Tech
On 408 I don't think the 10% rule applies. I think 500 is too high.

What "10% rule"?

What sparky said.

In any case, what's the problem? is there a motor or something that has an operating voltage range that you're not meeting? I don't see what there is to fix.

LazyS

He asked me if the voltage being higher would make the current consumed.

I told him we are charged by watts and it could be pulling more because of the higher voltage.

I see nothing wrong with the voltage. And I don't think it will "pull" more because of the higher voltage.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
A motor will actually pull slightly less current with a slightly higher voltage.

The watts remain the same, and is basically determined by the power it takes to move whatever you are pumping.

mivey

Okay somebody tell me how to use the quotes so I quit looking like an idiot.:mad:
Hit the quote button on the lower right of the post. If you want multiple quotes click the "+ key until you get the the last post you want, then click the quote button.

skeshesh

Yup, agreed that it wouldnt make much difference as far as Watts. That pretty much depends on the power factor and other power quality issues. I guess the effeciency of the motor could change slightly depending on operating voltage but honestly i think these considerations are going too. Just take care of the loose connection that caused the wire fault and it's all gravy.

mivey

With the motor rated at 460v, it gets closer to 10%.
Consider Range B values where the motor should be able to operate. The max goes up to 508v. For a 460v motor, that would be +10.4%.

On the minimal side, it goes down to 424v for Range B utilization, and 440v at the service. If there is no lighting, the minimum utilization level can be 416v.

The Range A minimum is 440v at utilization and 456v at the service. If there is no lighting, the minimum utilization level can be 432v.

Status
Not open for further replies.