Voltage Too High

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Just got back from a call and the voltage was 492 / 496/ 500.

The wires to the pumping panel were burned up, the reason for the call.

The wire was burned due to a loose connection.

I told the customer to call the POCO and set up a trouble call about the voltage.

He asked me if the voltage being higher would make the current consumed.

I told him we are charged by watts and it could be pulling more because of the higher voltage.

Can anyone set me straight on this?

Oh anyone have a lead on a Square D, size 3 pumping panel fuse clip and switch assembly, 100 amp 480V?

Why don't you try testing the voltage while the motor is running first?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
To do a quote

Code:
[quote = "Name of person here" ] Then the quote itself [/quote]
Oh I see this forum does not render the
Code:
 tag correctly. I tried to use the " [code] tag and type the code for a quote. It did not work quite correct so I added spaces between the equal sign and the word quote.

Last edited:

DrDover

There is nothing wrong with that voltage and a regular infrared inspection could have prevented the problem call and unscheduled down time ........... .

mivey

Nope a little too heavy
Expanding Mike's example:
The multi-quote tool puts the quotes in sequence. You have to move the quote so it is inside the other (the = name stuff is optional):
Code:
[quote = "Name of quoted poster" ]
   [quote = "Name of embedded poster #2" ]
      [quote = "Name of embedded poster #1" ] The embedded quote #1
      [/quote]
      Embedded poster #2's reply to the embedded quote #1
   [/quote]
   Quoted poster's reply to the embedded quotes #1 & #2
[/quote]

pfalcon

Expanding Mike's example:
The multi-quote tool puts the quotes in sequence. You have to move the quote so it is inside the other (the = name stuff is optional):
Code:
[quote = "Name of quoted poster" ]
   [quote = "Name of embedded poster #2" ]
      [quote = "Name of embedded poster #1" ] The embedded quote #1
      [/quote]
      Embedded poster #2's reply to the embedded quote #1
   [/quote]
   Quoted poster's reply to the embedded quotes #1 & #2
[/quote]

Virgin quote
Loss of innocence for embedded quote
Loss of reputation for embedded quote
Quoting prices quote
Okalidokali

hockeyoligist2

With the motor rated at 460v, it gets closer to 10%.

I ran in to a warranty situation with that. A contractor installed a 460v actuator on a gate valve and our normal power is 480v. The motor burned up in a few days. When the warranty rep showed up we were getting 501v at the disconnect. We had to bite the bullet and pay to have it repaired. We changed the taps at the transformer and got it down to 466v and it burned up again. They are repairing it for free this time. No refund on the first go round.

mivey

I ran in to a warranty situation with that. A contractor installed a 460v actuator on a gate valve and our normal power is 480v. The motor burned up in a few days. When the warranty rep showed up we were getting 501v at the disconnect. We had to bite the bullet and pay to have it repaired. We changed the taps at the transformer and got it down to 466v and it burned up again. They are repairing it for free this time. No refund on the first go round.
Sounds like you got taken as Range B goes up to 508 volts:
5.1.3 Range B-service and utilization voltages
Range B includes voltages above and below Range A limits that necessarily result from practical design and and operating conditions on supply or user systems, or both. Although such conditions are a part of practical operations, they shall be limited in extent, frequency, and duration. When they occur, corrective measures shall be undertaken within a reasonable time to improve voltages to meet Range A requirements.

Insofar as practicable, utilization equipment shall be designed to give acceptable performance in the extremes of the range of utilization voltages, although not necessarily as good performance as in Range A.

skeshesh

Sounds like you got taken as Range B goes up to 508 volts:

Seriously. Who the heck are these mfg. thugs/theives. What makes it absurd is the reoccurance of fault even after you voltage reading indicated 466V (~1.3% range)!!! I guess at the end of the day though you took care of your customer properly so hopefully you'll have them coming back later so you can recover some of the monies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
A lot of times it is just easier, quicker to replace the pump panel or if the disconnect in the pump panel is the same as their standard 100 amp nema 1 switch, buy the nema 1 and swap parts.

We work on a lot of pump panels, mostly Allen Bradley. It seems like anytime you need to replace a major component(the breaker or starter) it's cheaper to buy a whole pump panel rather than just the breaker or starter. Then you get the added benefit of having a bunch of extra spare parts for the next time something happens.:cool:

We try and use strictly Allen Bradley for just this reason. Less shop stock to carry...

LazyS

[/QUOTE]
Seriously. Who the heck are these mfg. thugs/theives. What makes it absurd is the reoccurance of fault even after you voltage reading indicated 466V (~1.3% range)!!! I guess at the end of
the day though you took care of your customer
properly so hopefully you'll have them coming back later so you can recover some of the monies.

We work on a lot of pump panels, mostly Allen Bradley. It seems like anytime you need to replace a major component(the breaker or starter) it's cheaper to buy a whole pump panel rather than just the breaker or starter. Then you get the added benefit of having a bunch of extra spare parts for the next time something happens.:cool:

We try and use strictly Allen Bradley for just this reason. Less shop stock to carry...
[/QUOTE]

And now you see why I have gone through three computers. The anger management classes seem to help though

Power Tech

I too have went with Alan Bradley. Great support.

I think I will install a disconect and remove the handle to the pumping panel. The water company is getting 2.5 mil (of our money) soon.

I am going to get as much $ as I can back for us.:D

Power Tech

Made calls today to the used parts dealers -- wast of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.