People are funny..actual email reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I went to look at this job. The guy wants his utilities put underground because they are unsightly. I come up with a plan, lay the job out, and email an estimate.

I probably have two-three hours in on this job already.

Here's the general scope of the work to be done from an email I sent to the customer

We're looking at $2898.50 to do the work we discussed.

Install conduits for telephone cable and power from pole to house
Install pull strings in phone and cable conduits
Install power wiring in conduit from pole to meter socket on house front corner
Install new 200 amp circuit breaker panel in front corner of basement
Refeed existing service panel in basement

All materials supplied by Scott Stevens Electrical
All excavating and back filling to be done by others

Here's the reply...

Hi Scott. CFO says we have to cut corners. Would you let me purchase the conduit(s) and put them in the trench? I'd run the wires and strings. How much would this save me, if anything and is there anything else I could do myself? Thank you

Im pondering my reply to this but needless to say there is no chance I'll be part of that approach to the job. There are too many things that he can screw up not to mention the permit will be under my name.

If I were to go for this I can guarantee the stock list he's sure to ask me for will cost more than the "savings" he's hoping for.

Just another day in the contracting biz! :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
is there anything else I could do myself? Thank you

Scott, this reply is not meant as a joke.

I would tell him in a polite way that yes there is something else he could do, he could call an EC that doesn't mind being a labor broker or he can do the whole job himself.

Roger

zog

Can't you relocate his existing panel and re-use it? You could offer him some savings there right? Just an observation.

As far as him buying materials and/or doing work himself, I would avoid that idea.

electricmanscott

Can't you relocate his existing panel and re-use it? You could offer him some savings there right? Just an observation.

That would actually add to the cost. The existing panel is a 40 ckt QO that is full. Relocating 40 circuits will be far more expensive than refeeding the panel and separating grounded and grounding conductors.

On a side note, he had a huge garage built for his antique cars and he wired it himself. Another electrician legally (permit inspection) installed a panel in the garage. The guy was mad that the contractor didn't take out a permit for the panel and the garage wiring that the homeowner did himself. :roll:

Karl H

The price of the work you posted (2898.50). It looks like
all of the corners have already been cut. Maybe the guy could come by
and pick you and your crew up and save a fuel surcharge.:grin:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Are the conductors feeding the meterbase copper? Can you switch to aluminum? Other than that, I can't really see how any costs you try and cut are really going to make much of a difference.

I'm glad we do very limited residential, some homeowners are crazy...

At least are comm/ind./agricultural accounts know what it takes to do electrical work and the costs associated with it. They let us do our job, I really don't like being pestered by cheap homeowners who do nothing but watch the clock.:)

cpal

I think Scotts point is the owner really is not concerned with a safe electrical installation and is blind to the fact that electricity in untrained hands is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention he has no concern for Scotts profesional status with the states licensing board and could be subject to an investigation for assigning his license.

Scott this is not a surprise I am astonished how often it occurs. You already know how you will handel this individual.

zog

That would actually add to the cost. The existing panel is a 40 ckt QO that is full. Relocating 40 circuits will be far more expensive than refeeding the panel and separating grounded and grounding conductors.

That makes sense, I have never done resi or commercial so excuse my ignorance on the topic.

LazyS

I went to the grocery store last night and actually picked out all the food and actually checked myself out bagged my own groceries and they still charged me full price. What a ripoff. Today my lawyer is going to let me answer my own emails to him. I figure I can save some dough there. My barber said he'd take 5 bucks off the price if I swept up my hair off the floor when done. I truly do believe we are the most disrespected trade of them all. Its just black to black and white to white right. It can't be that hard. Oh but you want landscaping done, well yeah lets pony up as much cash as it takes. I mean you wouldn't want any dangerous flowers out there.

growler

The guy sounds like a real Dork but there is no reason to get down on his level. When in business it's important to remain professional so I would just inform him that your license and insurance does not cover anyone else other than yourself or one of your empoyees doing work on a job that you are contracted to do. The truth is the truth.

Just let him know that there is really nothing tha he can do that would save anymore money on this particular job but he is welcome to get other estimates. Let him know that you feel that you have already trimed the fat and have given the best price possible.

There are those that use this technique all the time, they always ask about ways to lower the price no matter how low are reasonable it starts out. I would just stick with my price but do it in a nice way.

I'm not really a nice guy I would like to hit him in the head with a bender but I find it's better if the customer doesn't know that.:)

wireguru

I would remind the customer that he is already taking care of the trench and saving $XXXX by doing so. And whether he buys pipe or you do, the pipe is going to cost the same and could end up costing him more if there are any problems or shortages with material he supplies, and you cannot let him do any electrical work on your job due to permit, licensing laws, insurance policies, etc.

And stand firm on your price. The second you drop even $10 the guy knows A: you didnt give him your best price from the beginning, and B: he will start to try to nickel and dime you on every little thing. This isnt bargaining for a used car, you are a professional, you gave him your price to do the work, and thats that.

Does he bargain with his dentist? "You know, the CFO said I have to cut some corners so is it ok if I drill the hole myself, and you fill it?"

Last edited:

aline

I gave a customer a price to change out all the switches and receptacles in his house.

He e-mailed me back saying it was too much and wanted to know how much he would save if he removed the cover plates and the screws from the devices, then have me replace the devices, then he would screw the devices to the box and install the cover plates.

Power Tech

I went to look at this job. The guy wants his utilities put underground because they are unsightly. I come up with a plan, lay the job out, and email an estimate.

I probably have two-three hours in on this job already.

Here's the general scope of the work to be done from an email I sent to the customer

We're looking at $2898.50 to do the work we discussed.

Install conduits for telephone cable and power from pole to house
Install pull strings in phone and cable conduits
Install power wiring in conduit from pole to meter socket on house front corner
Install new 200 amp circuit breaker panel in front corner of basement
Refeed existing service panel in basement

All materials supplied by Scott Stevens Electrical
All excavating and back filling to be done by others

Here's the reply...

Hi Scott. CFO says we have to cut corners. Would you let me purchase the conduit(s) and put them in the trench? I'd run the wires and strings. How much would this save me, if anything and is there anything else I could do myself? Thank you

Im pondering my reply to this but needless to say there is no chance I'll be part of that approach to the job. There are too many things that he can screw up not to mention the permit will be under my name.

If I were to go for this I can guarantee the stock list he's sure to ask me for will cost more than the "savings" he's hoping for.

Just another day in the contracting biz! :)

Look at that, you give a great price and the Cheap Financial Officer says it's too much.

It's not enough they are going to break your conduit on backfill. Now he wants to put it together with no glue.

I think if you would have said $1500 they would try to cheap you down.

Karl H

I went to the grocery store last night and actually picked out all the food and actually checked myself out bagged my own groceries and they still charged me full price. What a ripoff. Today my lawyer is going to let me answer my own emails to him. I figure I can save some dough there. My barber said he'd take 5 bucks off the price if I swept up my hair off the floor when done. I truly do believe we are the most disrespected trade of them all. Its just black to black and white to white right. It can't be that hard. Oh but you want landscaping done, well yeah lets pony up as much cash as it takes. I mean you wouldn't want any dangerous flowers out there.

I could not agree with you more. But, then again, actually spending time
and effort to learn and understand the rules and physics of electricity
is easy, cause you aren't doing physical labor, labor is work,reading is not
,so why do you charge me for knowledge when all I want is labor?

I don't see electrons but, my guests and I do see the pretty flowers.
So why should I pay more for something my guests and I will never see?:grin:

Power Tech

That's funny. I had a pre rough walk through with a customer.

She said, I don't want any fixtures, only recessed lights.

Laid out 85 cans and gave her a 4000+ change order. She said, oh I didn't think that would be more.

I told her, When you go to Burger King and they ask you if you want cheese, do you think you have to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.