mc cable with aluminum ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cable with a spairl wound jacket 10-2 with ground. insulated copper black & white with bare aluminum ground
Just so you know, the aluminum wire is not really an EGC; the sheath is. Just as with the bonding strip in old-fashion BX, the bare wire is there to assure a low impedance through the sheath.

Being a spiral, the sheath can act like an inductor (a coil) during a high-current fault. The bonding strip or wire effectively shorts out the individual turns of the spiral, assuring faster OCPD operation.

daleuger

Cut it off. Its' only function is to have intimate contact with the metal jacket. Terminating it is not required. Here's an illustrated version:

http://www.southwire.com/documents/MCAP_BrochureNEW.pdf

I'm glad this was brought up. I've seen displays in the supply houses demonstrating what that diagram does with the boxes, but haven't had the pleasure/displeasure of using it. I've been wondering wouldn't it run into an issue where you are required to have a bonding jumper to the back of the box. Also I've seen a few inspectors who are thorough enough to want to take apart a few device boxes and I could see that going awry. :roll:

iMuse97

I'm glad this was brought up. I've seen displays in the supply houses demonstrating what that diagram does with the boxes, but haven't had the pleasure/displeasure of using it. I've been wondering wouldn't it run into an issue where you are required to have a bonding jumper to the back of the box. Also I've seen a few inspectors who are thorough enough to want to take apart a few device boxes and I could see that going awry. :roll:

You'd have to be on your best behavior and had the spec. sheets available for the new product. I'm thinking if I was going to install this stuff, I'd have a discussion with the inspector at the time of the bid, let him know what I was planning, and head off any problems, answer questions about it then. I think this stuff is great, and I think it will become a commonly used product as people become accustomed to it. Though we probably won't see Chicago allowing it any time soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.