water heater timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Since I know this is the right place to get opinons :roll: :

Are electric water heater timers worth the $40.00? (plus the offset and a few feet of 10 ga)

cadpoint

I've had one on my house for years, I beleive the pay-off is 5 - 7 years,
I use three setting. AM; 4- Diner; +- 9:30 through 11PM... while it's an older model, Day light saving time can be clumbersum at times...

Just remember that is only disconnects the the line side when using the on /off and the timer is still running and that it is not a complete means of disconnect... (Thanks for the reminder, "Chris K.")

So you could still need to use a double pole switch in-front of it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are electric water heater timers worth the $40.00?
Not in my opinion. My schedule isn't rigid enough to pick a time I wouldn't want hot water available.

The fact that I have a natural-gas water heater has nothing to do with it, by the way. :cool:

TOOL_5150

Unless gas is not avalible on site, I dont understand why anyone would still use electric water heaters. Natural gas tankless is the way to go. I have installed a few, really easy if you know how to sweat copper.

~Matt

Teaspoon

I Have a tendancy to doubt that there would much savings of electricity.
When you are not useing any hot water, the heater only has to maintain the temperture. If for instance your timer is set to have the water heater off for an 8 hour period,then back on for a while, It seems to me the water heater would have to run continous a longer period of time to bring the water back to temperture.

iwire

Staff member
Hang on, lets make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

Are we talking about ...

1) Paying less per month for electricity

OR

2) Using less electricity per month.

These are not one in the same when talking about power company backed water heater timers. You could use as much or more KWH and still pay less per month.

How is that?

Because the power company is more interested in moving the load to off peak times so if you go with their 'off peak' programs they will charge you less per KWH to heat your water off peak.

nhfire77

Hang on, lets make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

Are we talking about ...

1) Paying less per month for electricity

OR

2) Using less electricity per month.

These are not one in the same when talking about power company backed water heater timers. You could use as much or more KWH and still pay less per month.

How is that?

Because the power company is more interested in moving the load to off peak times so if you go with their 'off peak' programs they will charge you less per KWH to heat your water off peak.

Great point bob. I think the reason my friend put his in is the WH is ancient (20+ years but still going) and he is thinking about geothermal, and does not want to replace it and then rip it out for the geothermal.

cadpoint

Great point bob. I think the reason my friend put his in is the WH is ancient (20+ years but still going) and he is thinking about geothermal, and does not want to replace it and then rip it out for the geothermal.

Well this conversation has gone in various directions. I was talking about the intermatic 24 hour timer.

I also understand about POCO controlled WH, our's dropped that several years ago.

If you go geothermal, in most cases this is a closed loop the twenty year old
or a even standard water heaters are not built with closed loop in mind.

A closed loop system has to have internal coils for the geothermal loop and does not interact with potable water, most time it?s a glycerin or another mineral that runs through the coils of a complete unit, and circulates accordingly.

The price of the WH with these coils is about 1.5 to 2 X's the price of a regular water heater. They make them but there not cheap!

Good Luck!

nhfire77

Well this conversation has gone in various directions. I was talking about the intermatic 24 hour timer.

I also understand about POCO controlled WH, our's dropped that several years ago.

If you go geothermal, in most cases this is a closed loop the twenty year old
or a even standard water heaters are not built with closed loop in mind.

A closed loop system has to have internal coils for the geothermal loop and does not interact with potable water, most time it?s a glycerin or another mineral that runs through the coils of a complete unit, and circulates accordingly.

The price of the WH with these coils is about 1.5 to 2 X's the price of a regular water heater. They make them but there not cheap!

Good Luck!

The waterheater would be removed once the geothermal was installed. The point of the timer was to save money over a few years, then replace it.

petey_c

I installed a HWH timer for the owner of a dog kennel just before the summer. On at 5 in the morning and off at 9. He just needs it on long enough to wash out the kennels. He claims it's saving him money.

macmikeman

It tends to be a bit on the warm and sunny side around my house. SOLAR. You save so much that you can now afford to purchase Poco stock from Ameritrade. Then you can earn money from all the rubes who do not have a solar water heater on their house.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If for instance your timer is set to have the water heater off for an 8 hour period,then back on for a while, It seems to me the water heater would have to run continous a longer period of time to bring the water back to temperture.
I feel the same way about setback HVAC thermostats. The AC not only has to cool the air back down, but also the internal structure and surfaces, furniture, and everything that has mass within the envelope.

I've even gone as far as to set the T-stat down an extra degree or two in the morning on days I know will reach extreme temperatures later on, just to have it cooler in the evening, so I can sleep in comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.