Base Board Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

This is for the guys who live in colder regions. Here in Fl we do not have a need for baseboard heaters. I have a couple of questions for the guys who do install them.
I know they can range from 2 to 12 Ft in length.
Question # 1 What is the most common size that you guys typically install?

Question # 2 What is the difference between Standard Density and Medium Density?

jmsbrush

I also have noticed there are many different brands and different wattage's.
What is a popular brand for electricians and what is a preferred wattage?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is for the guys who live in colder regions. Here in Fl we do not have a need for baseboard heaters. I have a couple of questions for the guys who do install them.
I know they can range from 2 to 12 Ft in length.
Question # 1 What is the most common size that you guys typically install?

Question # 2 What is the difference between Standard Density and Medium Density?
Ideally you use the longest heater possible for the wall space. This provides a more distributed heat source which helps to eliminate drafts and cold spots.

Medium density heaters are used when you cannot add enough footage of standard density devices.

PCN

Q mark and Markel are common brands in the northeast. We actually have a couple of rooms at my house with electric baseboard heat. A couple of years ago I swapped them out for the type with silicone in them made by Farenheat I think :confused:(maybe?)

It really seems like it's a more even heat and dosen't seem to cycle as much as the cheaper standard stuff. It was three times the cost though.

The NEC does not have a restriction in the code for the location of receptacles above the baseboard heater.
The manufacturer's installation instructions is where you will see, usually in bold lettering, "not to be installed below receptacles"

This is similar to bathfans requiring GFCI protection. The requirement is not in the NEC, it is found in the installation instructions, and only for specific location(s).

charlie

. . . Question # 2 What is the difference between Standard Density and Medium Density?
Cut me a little slack because I am doing this from memory and it has been a long time since I have installed baseboard heaters. Standard density is normally 250 watts per foot and low density is 190 watts per foot. I have never heard of medium density. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.