Novice question but who's right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

Working for a friend, they built a pole barn on some hunting property and have a meter socket 300 foot away at the road. Building inspector not the electrical inspector stated to run two 4/0 USE-2 aluminum wires and one ground from the socket to the barn and it will pass. the panel in the barn is a 200amp panel. I stated they can cost effectively use 2/0 USE-2 Aluminum but would need 3-2/0 cables and a ground (2-hots 1-neutral and ground). Who's right and if I'm wrong please tell me why. Keep in mind the building inspector is making this statement not the electrical inspector.

LHarrington

Occupation
Inspector
Good morning,

Working for a friend, they built a pole barn on some hunting property and have a meter socket 300 foot away at the road. Building inspector not the electrical inspector stated to run two 4/0 USE-2 aluminum wires and one ground from the socket to the barn and it will pass. the panel in the barn is a 200amp panel. I stated they can cost effectively use 2/0 USE-2 Aluminum but would need 3-2/0 cables and a ground (2-hots 1-neutral and ground). Who's right and if I'm wrong please tell me why. Keep in mind the building inspector is making this statement not the electrical inspector.

LHarrington

Look at Table 310.16 for wire sizes. What is the connected load going to be?

Last edited:

iMuse97

If he has an OCPD at the meter, you would be correct in requiring the EGC back to that point, where it will be bonded to the neutral and the Grounding Electrode Conductor.

cadpoint

It's time to talk to the client and have them identify all their reqirements, you might also ask them to rethink it again for all that future usuage.

If you know the area and know what others put in thier pole barn, well you could suggest things, You get the idea...

You can put a 100 amp breaker on a larger panel. You can even put the bigger wire in and be ready for later.

You will need to calculate all the loads of all the "equipment" that will be put in place. Additional Calc. Non-Dwelling (Code), something like that. You can assume (and show the math) of the future things to also show your client.
Then as long as they are not putting in a later silo or turn it into something unrelated, I think you'll be fine.

While your not required to show the future calculation, its just something to make the client totally grasp everything, and shows you on your game.

iMuse97

Not thinking far enough, but only thinking as to what I would do... I stand corrected: you could do as suggested by the building inspector, depending on code cycle, for example.

mcclary's electrical

Not thinking far enough, but only thinking as to what I would do... I stand corrected: you could do as suggested by the building inspector, depending on code cycle, for example.

I agree, this would pass under 2005, as long as no other metallic paths. But is no longer legal under 2008. I did one last year in the same fashion.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LH, I'd stick with the larger line conductors merely for the distance of the run. You don't want to have to do this job again.

The neutral needs to be sized for the greatest possible 120v load on either line, and no smaller than the allowable EGC.

If you're not yet bound by the 2008 NEC, three conductors are permissible, even though you're past the main disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.