Combining Speaker wiring and power wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcalle

I wanted to know if someone could tell me if the NEC allows you to combine 208/120V power wiring with speaker wiring in the same raceway? I did not find out the voltage rating of the speaker wiring but assuming it was less than 120V.

I thought this might be covered by NEC 2008 Article 725 where they talk about the class 1, class 2, class 3 circuits but I could not find anything.

Thanks

I wanted to know if someone could tell me if the NEC allows you to combine 208/120V power wiring with speaker wiring in the same raceway? I did not find out the voltage rating of the speaker wiring but assuming it was less than 120V.

I thought this might be covered by NEC 2008 Article 725 where they talk about the class 1, class 2, class 3 circuits but I could not find anything.

Thanks

In my best McEnroe voice imitation: ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!!!:D

Even if it is allowed by the Code it could and would cause constant buzzing of the speakers.

raider1

Staff member
640.9(A)(3) requires that speaker wiring meet the requirements of Article 725.

725.136 requires that class 2 and 3 wiring be seperated from power wiring.

I would bet that the speaker wire would be a class 2 cable.

Chris

mcclary's electrical

Thanks

YOu're gonna get nothing but 60 cycle HHHUUUMMMMM outta those speakers:mad:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Even if it is allowed by the Code it could and would cause constant buzzing of the speakers.

YOu're gonna get nothing but 60 cycle HHHUUUMMMMM outta those speakers:mad:
Not necessarily. Speaker circuits are of relatively low impedance, and not very sensitive to induced noise. It depends on the current, the distance, and the proximity.

In my home theater, I have two #14 speaker wires (bi-wired), one shielded audio cable (powered-sub amp), and one 14-2 NM (sub-amp) feeding each main speaker.

These cables all run down from the ceiling between studs, and are not particularly separated. My speakers are dead quiet with zero signal, even from up close.

mcclary's electrical

Not necessarily. Speaker circuits are of relatively low impedance, and not very sensitive to induced noise. It depends on the current, the distance, and the proximity.

In my home theater, I have two #14 speaker wires (bi-wired), one shielded audio cable (powered-sub amp), and one 14-2 NM (sub-amp) feeding each main speaker.

These cables all run down from the ceiling between studs, and are not particularly separated. My speakers are dead quiet with zero signal, even from up close.

IMO crossing perpindicular is never a problem. But if they run parallel for more than a few feet I've always been scared of doing that, especially if it's an amplified speaker. It sounds like you've got a movie theatre:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hmmmmm,
I live in Roanoke. May have to make a trip!
We've got room for a week-end visitor; just need some notice. PM for phone.

I would like to meet you one day, Larry. What's playing?:grin:
Anything you like. We have around 250 DVD's and about half as many laserdiscs.

I can make it to Richmond in about 4 hours. :grin:
Just let me know. We're in west Henrico Co., about 5 minutes from I-64.

hurk27

Not to give you more food to chew on, but many high powered professional amps, are considered class 1 and require class 1 wiring?
It says so right on the back of my Crown Micro-tec 3600

I still would not want my speaker wire in a conduit with line voltage wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.