e-mon d-mon vs. socket submeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcm

Occupation
Engineer
We are submetering from an existing buildilng service. I have a contractor who has already installed a meter socket (which requires the glass meter) telling me we have to get the power company to come install the glass. The construction drawings say to install an e-mon d-mon. No call was ever made to the electrical engineer by the contractor saying he was going to make this change, but if we have to get the POCO involved it will be weeks before we can get the glass and have this cellular equipment up and running (that was the whole point of submetering with an e-mon!!). I'm trying to determine if this socket he installed was actually necessary. He's telling me that he couldn't install an e-mon d-mon. See below...

We have an existing 120/240v, 3 ph, 4 w, 800A disconnect switch in the existing building. It feeds a wireway, and we designed the construction drawings for tapping the conductors in the wireway, putting in a 200A/2P fused disconnect, and then a j-box wth current transformers for an e-mon d-mon. The contractor is telling me because they had to crimp onto the feeder, they had to put in a meter socket and thus, he needs the POCO to come install the meter into the can.

My information tells me this is a house switch, not a POCO switch. Why does tapping the feeder make it impossible to use an e-mon d-mon for a submeter here? I would have thought that ONLY if this was a POCO 800A switch would we need a socket rather than an e-mon. Is there something physical about tapping the feeder that requires a socket rather than using the current transformers for an e-mon? (This is in VA, Fairfax Co.)

Thanks!!

bcm

Occupation
Engineer
e-mon d-mon vs. socket submeter

My understanding is that the tap is after the existing metering. Power goes from the meter into the 800A disconnect and then into the wireway then it's tapped.

hurk27

E-mons have configurations for almost all service voltages, while they do use current transformers, they also have to have the corresponding voltage info from each phase, I have installed many of these units and have never had a problem, we usually set them up at the tap disconnect, or just ahead of the panel serving the load.

You mention this service is a 120/240 3 phase 4-wire, this would be a center tap delta, which will have 208 from the B phase to neutral, this service require the correct E-mon unit to be ordered, and any qualified electrician should be able to wire this.

I will try to look up there site and post the links to the info for this type of service.

hurk27

Ok here is the web link to the page you need, all the info is in down loadable PDF, E-Mon 2000 series

It looks like the 208200KIT is the one you will need, and as I said, there will have to be a place where you can tap for the voltage readings, and these taps need fuse protection, also these taps need to be after the current transformers.

I have no idea why your electrician installed a meter can?
but as an alternative. you could also purchase a 7 jaw meter, not sure what they go for, but maybe your POCO could tell you of a source.

Status
Not open for further replies.