Is it code compliant to run 12-2 romex through LFNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davos

Can 12-2 romex be run through LFNC in between a BEll box and an El B. Some have said that it is a conduit system within a conduit system and other have said it is double insulated. I have looked through 300 and I can't find support for either argument. As long as the manufactures id (what size, what kind of conductors) is visable I say its ok. What do you think?
Davos.

davos

Romex starts inside, sleeved through sill in pvc, (now we are outside) into El B, through the LFNC, into the Bell box, eight feet of LFNC (now we are inside) out of the back of the Bell box fished through an air void in masonry block, into back of metal 4 square, terminated on duplex receptacle to feed blower on propane fireplace. Only spice is in a covered 4 square in the crawl space and the romex jacket would be left on to reveal the manufacture info. Entire lenght of circuit is 30', teminated on an AFCI breaker.

iwire

Staff member
I am not really following what you have but in a nutshell, if any of the locations are considered wet locations you can not use NM in liquid tight or not.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Davos, welcome to the forum! :)

The point is that the interior of a conduit is not a location. Anything inside a conduit is located where the conduit is located. What's in it must be rated for the location.

If the wire isn't rated for outside use, being inside a conduit doesn't change that. Only wires rated for wet locations may be used in conduit that is in a wet location.

davos

Now the question is, Is it a violation to run UF in the above situation. I agree with NM in a wet location. Can UF be run inside a conduit system ie. pvc conduit, LFNC, emt... Please refer to article # if violation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Now the question is, Is it a violation to run UF in the above situation. I agree with NM in a wet location. Can UF be run inside a conduit system ie. pvc conduit, LFNC, emt... Please refer to article # if violation.
Make sure you take a look at note 9 to Table 1 in Chapter 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.