Plastic vs. Metal Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

active1

You dont have to bond the box as you would with metal. plastic is non conductive cant be electrified. Does not corrode. Ive seen moister get to metal boxes and they decay over time.

I seen 100 year old black metal boxes look good as new. What is the oldest plastic boxes out there still working? I wonder if the plastic gets brittal over time making it more prone to cracking.

While there are some locations not for metal boxes. Inside a resi interior wall seems like moisture would not be an issue. If it is enough to rot out a galvanized box then maybe it's time to gut and redo the place.

Metal boxes and EMT are the norm in Northern IL. But if your going with NM you may as well use the plastic boxes.

Last edited:

480sparky

I'd say the fact that billions of them have been installed and in use is good enough for me.

I'd say the fact that billions of them have been installed and have had no significant problems simply because they're plastic is good enough for me.

I forgot to add.
Some have an issue with the threaded hole for the device screw. What some do is use metallic raised roughing covers on 1900 boxes to alleviate this issue.

I used to shun plastic boxes as a contractor, but today, the market is so tough and the quality of plastic boxes is better, that I would use plastic myself. It keeps the weight in the truck down too. :D

growler

the builder wants me to use the same metal boxes that we use when piping these homes.

Can some of you people give me some reasons as to why plastic is as good or better than metal when installing romex?

The plasic are faster and thus cheaper but they do look a little on the lite weight side.

Try showing him the Carlon Super Blue hardshell boxes. They look and feel a bit more substantial than the average plastic box.

I forgot to add.
Some have an issue with the threaded hole for the device screw. What some do is use metallic raised roughing covers on 1900 boxes to alleviate this issue.

I used to shun plastic boxes as a contractor, but today, the market is so tough and the quality of plastic boxes is better, that I would use plastic myself. It keeps the weight in the truck down too. :D

I want to restate this, if you all do not mind.

I used to shun plastic boxes in the past. Today the market is so tough and the quality of plastic boxes is better than in the past (for me the past is 20 years ago). I would use plastic boxes is certain installations today, and carrying them in the truck does keep the weight down too.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I want to restate this, if you all do not mind.
No problem; go right ahead. :)

I used to shun plastic boxes in the past. Today the market is so tough and the quality of plastic boxes is better than in the past (for me the past is 20 years ago). I would use plastic boxes is certain installations today, and carrying them in the truck does keep the weight down too.
Thanks. I enjoyed that. :grin:

JOHNEO99

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really hope he has a change of heart. Hes just doing his job and in these times everybody is cautious.

This Thread has to be my best here. Maybe a repost but I enjoyed it.

Hello John-

I was shocked to here that Mundelin is allowing Romex. I checked the towns website today and found that they are operating on the 99' NEC. The village ammendments to the NEC DO NOT ALLOW ROMEX.

Check with the village inspector directly to be sure Romex is allowed. Please let me know what you are told.

Thanks

active1

He wants metal boxes because after that romex burns up, the boxes will be all set to

use EMT !!

This thread is too funny.

Or they want metal boxes because the village does't allow NM cable. After the inspector makes you rip out the romex your metal boxes will be there for the EMT. Sounds like good advice that will save you time. Make sure you drill your cable holes straight & big enough for when it gets changed to EMT.

Says here they are on 2008 NEC:
http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=...&sig=AFQjCNER7rskD8AtAn7gbU4Pp4Z_A2nBZw&pli=1

From their ammendments:
All alterations of electrical wiring systems must be made in a raceway of rigid conduit, intermediate conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.

(t) Amendments to Article 336--Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, NMS. Delete this section in its entirety.

Most other wiering methods are deleted also.

Not to sound rude but when bidding a project you really should spend a few minuits and find the local code requirements. It's not a bad idea to review them again before starting work. Many places have plenty of got-ya's that only apply to their location.

Status
Not open for further replies.