medical exam office fit out

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
In your original post you stated: "lights can stay". Be careful as 517.13 still has "special" requirements for patient care lighting circuits.

Good point Gus, highly unlikely the ceiling is lower than 8', but the existing switches may need some attention.

satcom

Will there any exit light or emergency lighting, and how about phone and data wiring, the medical office fit up's , that we did in the past all had approved prints, I worry about these jobs that don't have prints, they may also not have approvals.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Good point Gus, highly unlikely the ceiling is lower than 8', but the existing switches may need some attention.
and even above 7-1/2', the fixtures must still be wired in a method where the armor is an approved grounding means, so the common practice of using "standard" MC is not acceptable.

nyerinfl

I just finished compiling an assemby. I added tax and some mark-up on material. Then I did an hrly rate times craft hrs. My assembly came to $152.67 each outlet.

I've been doing very simliar work to this lately, a hospital reno. and a smaller medical office space, and I will say IMO you've got a pretty good number. What I'm wondering is how can you possibly have 3 days worth of demo on a job like this? Sounds excessive for the scale of work, if you really want the job figure out a way to cut down that demo portion, and up your margin on the overall number.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Show me....

o.,k,
from 517.13(B):Exception No. 2: Luminaires more than 2.3 m (7? ft) above the floor and switches located outside of the patient care vicinity shall be permitted to be connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A). (emphasis added)

takes us to 517.13(A)
A) Wiring Methods. All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with an effective ground-fault current path by installation in a metal raceway system, or a cable having a metallic armor or sheath assembly. The metal raceway system, or metallic cable armor, or sheath assembly shall itself qualify as an equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 250.118. (emphasis added)

If you check 250.118(10) you will note only certain styles of MC qualify.

also discussed here: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=115240&highlight=patient+care+lights

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
I fully understand that Gus. Our normal wiring method is to take HCFMC to supply the switch then MC to the fixtures. Compliant?

chris kennedy

Occupation
You could do that with standard AC cable.

Sure or might as well use the HCFMC I already have on the job. Tell me how the fixtures are not:

connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A).

Am I missing the part that says "shall extend to the luminaires"?

iwire

Staff member
Sure or might as well use the HCFMC I already have on the job. Tell me how the fixtures are not:

connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A).

Am I missing the part that says "shall extend to the luminaires"?

How is the power getting from the switch to the luminaire?

Hi Chris,

it's not in the spec what type of device to use other than hospital grade mc. I'm going to include hospital grade devices but not the isolated ground type since it's just an exam room for outpatient only.

I literally, after all this time (perhaps 9 hrs now) just finished my estimate.
To answer some questions asked toward me: there is em lights already and exit signs. The reason I allowed 3 days demo is because every room there now has duplex,quad outlets and plug mold to be romoved. Also will be removing 6 recess lights and a few lay in lights. Will adapt some lights to other rooms. In this process I have to demo the wire completely to the panel unless I use the circuit for another area such as the reception area or corridor lights.

This is my first true take off it felt like forever as I put a lot of thought into it. Thought about my every step. I'm ok if I made a mistake here or there but hope I'm thorough enough to have made an accurate estimate based on my skill level.

Thank you everyone for chiming in as I do find all of your posts are verymuch appreciated. Think I'll stop now and enjoy my Saturday night.

Sincerely,

Static

Oh, one last post for now, my print isn't thorough at all. It's a general lyout of all rooms and a seperate piece of paper includes the scope of work. I read that while looking at the print. The print doens't indicate locations of devices or swithes.......just lights. But the scope of work is clear where the device go and I can clearly see where switches go from the door swing line. I will mention that there are existing switch locations in the room. (not on the outside)

SpiderMT

There is no such thing as an isolated ground HG device.

Are you sure about that? Check this link. I wired an assisted living / recovery center once and these were spece'd. They are not cheap!

BTW, we didn't end up using these after I spoke to the EE about it.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-j-datasheet.asp?FAM=IGround&PN=IG8300

Product Datasheet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IG8300 -- Hospital Grade Duplex Receptacle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2P3W, 20A 125V, NEMA 5-20R, IG, Flush Nylon Face, Back and Side Wired, Orange

Product Specifications
Product Type
Receptacle Type Standard
Device Grade Isolated Ground
Amperage 20A
Voltage 125V AC
Poles and Wires 2 Pole, 3 Wire
Color
M Drawings Click here for M-Drawing
Catalog Page Click here for catalog page I4
Brochures Click here for product brochure