Mounting a Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff80

In a residential house, how can you tell if a box is rated to hold a fan? There is currently a ceiling mounted light in a plastic 2x4xdeep box and I want to change to a fan. What is the easiest way to make it hold a fan if it cant already?

macmikeman

Support the fan from the structure not the box. You will still need to have a box, but you can support the fan direct to structure in addition to the box. Long lag screws. Dig?

iMuse97

1. a metal box with a plaster ring is not rated for fan support.

2. a typical carlon type ceiling box is not rated for fan support.

3. the very heavy-duty plastic boxes are fan-rated.

4. the fan support boxes I'm familiar with are designed to accept 10-32 screws, not 8-32s.

5. if you are unsure about your box for any reason, see MMM's post.

e57

Support the fan from the structure not the box. You will still need to have a box, but you can support the fan direct to structure in addition to the box. Long lag screws. Dig?
I know you could do it in some code cycles - but at least for the 08 cycle (314.27(D) - the box has to be rated and listed for fan use. You still can do light fixtures in the way you describe - I will often use long 1/4-20 hanger bolts through to framing and 4S and 3/0 ring. On a few occasions strut and 3/8" bolts.

macmikeman

I know you could do it in some code cycles - but at least for the 08 cycle (314.27(D) - the box has to be rated and listed for fan use. You still can do light fixtures in the way you describe - I will often use long 1/4-20 hanger bolts through to framing and 4S and 3/0 ring. On a few occasions strut and 3/8" bolts.

Well there you go. I won't need to know that until November when we go 08. As soon as November starts I'll know it thanks to you.;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Where are you seeing that the requirement for fan boxes changed with the 2008? I see no change in that section from the 2005 NEC.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I remember something being said about boxes during the code update for the 08. Maybe it was that regardless of fan or not it had to be fan rated. I would need to check my notes.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
SBFAN_450.jpg

I've used this box,.. works great if original is mounted to side of joist
Jeez, I wish this discussion had taken place two weeks ago! I would have grabbed a couple...

M. D.

There was a warning issued at the beginning of the IAEI article

Once again, it is important to stress that this is a look at what was proposed and acted on by the code-making panels through the proposals stages of the NEC-2008 development process. These changes could be affected by public comments to the initial committee actions on these proposed revisions.

and so this change was affected,. hence the confusion to which I alluded

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There was a warning issued at the beginning of the IAEI article

and so this change was affected,. hence the confusion to which I alluded

That's what I figured. :)

So back to the original question, it is still permissible to support a fan independently of a regular old box. The box is not required to be rated for fan support unles it actually is supporting the fan.

M. D.

from the roc pasted/posted in the thread link,.This is how I understand the issue of fan support

In addition, fan boxes are not and never have been the only acceptable method
of hanging a paddle fan. They are only required when the box is the sole
support of the fan.
One major paddle fan manufacturer is now producing an
enormous volume of paddle fans (sold through major home supply channels)
that come complete with installation directions that do not recognize fan box
support, and that instead call for direct support of the fan bracket using long
screws that extend through the standard mounting hole pattern of steel boxes
and into framing above the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.