Max distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunt4679

I am looking to find out if the code has a maximum distance for any type of conduit run before you need to install a pull box (pull point).

Mr. Wizard

My rule of thumb is every 100 feet or every 270 degrees in bends I'll set a box. Why make it hard on yourself? Boxes are cheap.

iMuse97

all depends on what you're pulling and what sort of setting you're working in, and the puller (or not) that you have.:) But yes, as a rule, go as straight as you can as far as you can, w/o destroying wire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Mr. Wizard....which of your "rules of thumb" is actual "code" ?

My rule of thumb is every 100 feet or every 270 degrees in bends I'll set a box. Why make it hard on yourself? Boxes are cheap.

If that's his personal rule and it works for him that's fine. As noted it's not an NEC requirement. Depending on the number of conduits and their respective sizes, the elimination of a pull box can save quite a bit of money (think of parallel 4" conduits) ;)

For small stuff I would agree with the Wizard boxes can be cheap insurance to make the job a little easier.

Mr. Wizard

If that's his personal rule and it works for him that's fine. As noted it's not an NEC requirement. Depending on the number of conduits and their respective sizes, the elimination of a pull box can save quite a bit of money (think of parallel 4" conduits) ;)

For small stuff I would agree with the Wizard boxes can be cheap insurance to make the job a little easier.

Now that could get real expensive, real quick :grin: As Infinity noted, on smaller runs it makes sense to put in an extra box or two in a run. I usually won't need to add a box into a run of 1 1/4" EMT, but I'd run out of fingers and toes if I tried to count the times I've said to myself "I sure wish there was a j-box here I could use" in smaller runs, such as 1" on down. I think it's foolish to have 500' of conduit installed with a box at either end and nothing in between. I have been that fool before, it's not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.