Mobile Drilling Unit
Multiplexer Decoding Unit
Mobile Distribution Unit
Multiplexer and Distribution Unit

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Maybe it's just me but isn't this the kind of thing you really ought to be asking the people who are asking you to install them? Or is it that you don't want to appear to not know everything?

-Hal

iam14sure

Mdu

Mdu

We are an electrical contractor and install fire, burgler and CCTV for this company and we do a tremendous amount of work with them. Out of nowhere they asked me if I would install MDU's for them. I told them I never did it and their answer was," you have a good head on your shoulder and are a hard worker, you'll do fine. They emailed me today and said they have at least 6 months worth of installs and would like me to meet with them tomorrow. All I know they always pay well and on time.

Last edited:

ohmhead

Well in the electrical trade we install lots of MDU and its on KENS list its a portable power unit which we install for temp power in high rise buildings we call them turtles .

Each MDU has a 200 amp panel with 30amp 50 amp and 120 volt outlets for the trades to use and there rain proof .

They plug up with a heavy hard usage S O cable and a cannon plug locking type .

I dont know if thats what there asking but hubble makes these and others .

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Thanks for the condescending vote of approval, but what exactly is an MDU?" :roll:

Well in the electrical trade we install lots of MDU and its on KENS list its a portable power unit which we install for temp power in high rise buildings we call them turtles .

Each MDU has a 200 amp panel with 30amp 50 amp and 120 volt outlets for the trades to use and there rain proof .

They plug up with a heavy hard usage S O cable and a cannon plug locking type .
That sounds like a Mobile Distribution Unit to me. A spider-box.

ohmhead

"Thanks for the condescending vote of approval, but what exactly is an MDU?" :roll:

Well we start with a 1200 amp service on the west side and a 1200 amp service on the east side and run heavy use so cable thur the the floors to feed 1st thur 5 th floors then a new feeder to 6th thur 10 th ect ect at 14 th floor we build a 800 amp distibution east and west .

Then on to the remaining floors we do the same up to 35 floors these MDU s parallel with a cannon plug twistlocking connection if one fails we have a spare to plug up temp power is a simple connection when lower floors are finished out power is available for elevators and such on the upper levels .

The cost to install is less then the old way .

We take it to the next project over and over its rolled up in a semi trailer and ready to be installed on the next project. 480 volts 3 phase power with transformers

Last edited:

mthead

What is it?

So I think were we to put an explanation for this unit in 'laymans' terms' ,we would say it was a "supercharged power strip designed to supply multiple temporary feeder circuits and requiring the installation of a temporary main service exclusive to the unit as required by its UL listing ".
Oh..,and it usually comes with gfi protection in addition if I remeber correctly.
Isn't this what they actually want most carnivals and fairs to use these days?

ohmhead

I haven't seen those things since I worked high rise condos in Fort Myers, Fl.

makes sense though.

Thought about them when I was doing a festival in town a few years ago.:roll:

We used to call them "break out box's"

Well we did lots of work at Disney World back in 1969 and temp power was a major problem to move around form site to site thats when we started with MDUs out of wood with wheels home made now you can buy them factory made .
Take care be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.