Do house Smoke Alarms come under 760 Fire Alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

kid_stevens

I drop from a job for school and when I go back for my equipment and other sundries the owner of the complex says to me " The new Electrician is wiring the smoke alarms all the way back to the panel."

I cannot find smoke alarms anywhere in the NEC and only Fire Alarms are required to have a separate branch circuit.

So as long as wired Smoke alarms are to wired to AFI and GFIs is there anything that says to wire them back to the load center and a separate breaker?

iwire

Staff member
760 covers smoke detectors not smoke alarms.

Smoke alarms are not required or prohibited from being on a dedicated circuit and are not prohibited from being on GFCI or AFCI protected circuits.

kid_stevens

But where is smoke alarm called specifically? Or even their wiring methods. A search of Smoke, detector or alarms does not call up anything related. Some people think that is anyone say smoke alarms are in the code without proving it.

The wiring issue that started this is the one in 760. The wired smoke detectors do not refer to anything. So a new NEC section might need to be called for.

M. D.

110.3(b) anyone???
third up from bottom click manuel
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/Templates/Pages/Template-53/0,8062,pageId=4363&siteId=384,00.html

3.INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
WIRING REQUIREMENTS
• This smoke alarm should be installed on a U.L. listed or recognized junction box. All connec-
tions should be made by a qualified electrician and must conform to article 760 of the U.S.
National Electrical Code
, NFPA 72 and/or any other codes having jurisdiction in your area.
• The appropriate power source is 120 Volt A.C. Single Phase supplied from a non-switchable cir-
cuit which is not protected by a ground fault interrupter.

ivsenroute

760 is for fire alarm systems.

Be familiar with:

NEC 760 and related
NFPA 72
IBC chapter 9 (907) if your state follows the I-Codes

mcclary's electrical

I drop from a job for school and when I go back for my equipment and other sundries the owner of the complex says to me " The new Electrician is wiring the smoke alarms all the way back to the panel."

I cannot find smoke alarms anywhere in the NEC and only Fire Alarms are required to have a separate branch circuit.

So as long as wired Smoke alarms are to wired to AFI and GFIs is there anything that says to wire them back to the load center and a separate breaker?

I don't put smokes on their own circuit because if it gets turned off, Nobody will know. I usually come off a bedroom circuit, so if they're turned off, someone will know immediately.

M. D.

I think Don is saying that if the manufacturers directions prohibited connecting smoke alarms to AFCI circuits there would be a problem.

I don't think he is saying 760 applies.

I guess ,.. but the instructions say "all connections must conform to article 760...."

so if that part is bogus so too the GFCI language?

iMuse97

In the land of local jurisdictions, Illinois, I've installed resi. smoke alarms on separate/dedicated circuits in two towns where the AHJ required it. In all other places, on a lighting circuit for the master bedroom because that breaker never be left off. Before we get further into 760 see:

I. General 760.1 Scope this article covers the installation of wiring and equipment of fire alarm systems including all circuits controlled and powered by the fire alarm system. Nowhere in this is it referring to resi. smokes.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I guess ,.. but the instructions say "all connections must conform to article 760...."

If you do a search you may find it but I recall someone posting that those instructions where a mistake and supposedly UL was going to look into it.

M. D.

If you do a search you may find it but I recall someone posting that those instructions where a mistake and supposedly UL was going to look into it.

Yeah ,..it was me ,.. like3 or 4 years ago,.. the company has changed hands and this is a different set of instructions :roll:

M. D.

In the land of local jurisdictions, Illinois, I've installed resi. smoke alarms on separate/dedicated circuits in two towns where the AHJ required it. In all other places, on a lighting circuit for the master bedroom because that breaker never be left off. Before we get further into 760 see:

I. General 760.1 Scope this article covers the installation of wiring and equipment of fire alarm systems including all circuits controlled and powered by the fire alarm system. Nowhere in this is it referring to resi. smokes.

Which leads us back to the resi instruction calling out 760 and 110.3(b)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

so if that part is bogus so too the GFCI language?
I skipped right over the 760 part, but base on the discussion of NRTLs and provided instructions, yes, 760 has to apply.... This is a good example of why I don't believe that the testing labs even look at the supplied instructions.

scruffms

In Mass., resi smokes must be powered by ckts other than individual branch ckts. Power must be supplied by ckts supplying other "habitable, occupiable spaces." Per the Mass. State Bldg. Code.

Just my opinion, but based on NFPA 72, Single, or Multi Station Alarms are not tha same as a "system" and 760 would not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.