Took the N,J, State Test today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunny

Well I did the three banger today, Elec in the am, Business after lunch and Alarms at 330pm. I'm glad I memorized the apple, good advice from the forum fiirst thing I did was tab my book, Draw the apple and all the VD, size, load, distance formulas.I had to use three of them and did need more then some had told me on here. Needed E2/W and I2&R Did have one house calculation start to finish.,Motor calcs and lots of OCPD calc's. Feel good finished early and found everything I was looking for,very confident with test. But we'll see. Business found a lot but had to read, read, read as I was told lots of things ebbed deep in the chapters. Feel like I did o,k, but not as good as I wanted. Alarms went real good, found almost everything and its really just about learning the book, highlighting and tabbing lots of things from Definitions,Glossary, chapters 5,7,8, lots from testing, maint charts in chapter 10, And more details in Annex A. In addition lots of from NEC. So hope that helps. Now I will try not to think about it for 3 weeks til I find out how it went.Good luck to the guys testing tommorow.

tunny

Electricians apple ?, Ohms Law Circle ?...Fixed resisitance, power loss, Heat Harmonic's, Voltage drop ,etc.

tunny

It wasn't bad the doors opened around 700 I think, First thing I did was tabbed the NEC using Post it large Temp tabs. I even asked the lady at the test she replied "I don't see a thing"...lol. I tabbed 250-122, 250-66 ,310-13 ,310-16, 430-247, 760, Table -8, T-4, T-5 ,ANNEX C, ANNEX E, ANNEX D and the Index.It helped big time I was either right on the info or could get to a certin part like art 300 very easy by grabbing the 310-13 tab,etc. I do think it's kinda rediculus not allowing personal code books. But it is what it is.

RonPecinaJr

If they allowed personal code books it'd be way toooooo easy. For instance, I took an exam prep course and we highlighted nearly everything that was on the test. Had I had my copy of the NEC, the exam would have been a breeze. It needs to be a challenge otherwise having the license would be pointless. :cool:

If they allowed personal code books it'd be way toooooo easy. For instance, I took an exam prep course and we highlighted nearly everything that was on the test. Had I had my copy of the NEC, the exam would have been a breeze. It needs to be a challenge otherwise having the license would be pointless. :cool:

I disagree to a point.
A person who takes the time and/or a class to study and highlights his/her book, makes them better at using the book. Once finished with the test, they can use the highlighting in the future to help locate information while working.

I believe that a lot of the testing jurisdictions are becoming paranoid. If that is the case, make the test more challenging. By providing an unmarked code book is not the answer.

I disagree to a point.
A person who takes the time and/or a class to study and highlights his/her book, makes them better at using the book. Once finished with the test, they can use the highlighting in the future to help locate information while working.

I believe that a lot of the testing jurisdictions are becoming paranoid. If that is the case, make the test more challenging. By providing an unmarked code book is not the answer.

I agree, to me that goes for calculators as well!

Pma

Pma

Best of luck on the outcome, I know when I took my first NC written in 90 the wait was the worst part of all. With the Prometric, in and out in 3 hours with the results headed to an adult beverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.