Romex tools etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremysterling

I do that, too. I pull out about what I think I'll need, and unwind it from there back toward the end, spinning it, not overhead, but out to the side, like the rodeo cowboy who jumps in and out of the spinning lariat.

It's a little less violent. :cool:

The only problem now is that the cable is perfectly straight and therefore parallel to the framing member...:grin:

480sparky

...........Added: You still gotta lug them around and into and out of the van.

I've seen some guys build racks right inside the back doors of the van. Besides, carrying one 1000' spool thirty feet beats hauling 6 or 8 250' spools all through the house, up & down stairs, hither and yon.

tonyou812

SitSpin.jpg

The new Sit & Spin wire dispenser Goldstar-1 model.:grin: Laugh if you want to but it works and doesn't jam up. I saw it on the side of the road on garbage day, hit the brakes and picked it up, made a slight modification by adding some 1/2" plywood to the bottom and "Voilla". You can go to the supply house and spend $140.00 on a Racketeers model. I don't look for prestige on the job - just looking to get it done.;)

Classic...I love it. Im going to my cousins 5th birthday party this sat. Guess what Ill be looking for......;)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is the 1/2" plywood to add weight to the Sit-N-Spin?
No. I originally used this with a roll of 12/2 MC cable. It worked fine up until the last 20'. Then the Sit & Spin started to creep. I added the plywood so that I can either nail it to a plywood floor or situate the unit behind an open studded wall so it doesn't creep. For me there's not much set-up involved. Take the Sit & Spin out of the shed, bring it to the job, drop it on the floor and put a roll of wire on it and go. No mounting to studs. It doesn't take up much room, no one is going to steal it (for rear of embarrassment - but I'm beyond that) and if they did there's no great loss other than the convenience - but I'll find another one.;)

For larger jobs I do use 1000' reels. Set them up somewhere convenient on the 1st floor and pull from there. A lot less waste.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
How do you guys move 1000 foot spools around the house easily. We tried it once and it was slower than 5 guys pulling runs all over at the same time, and pulling multiple runs in at once (IE from the panel to upstairs). 1000 foot has proven to me only, too cumbersome. We can work faster with 4-250' rolls as oppose to 1-1000.

Article 90.1

Per te original question: Don't be afraid to use a little soap, sometimes it seems like the NM wants to stick to the wood. With the new fangled thin PVC outer jacket they are using, I have burned through a cable by pulling a second one into an already occupied hole. A little 'slickness" goes a long way.

I also don't have a problem bringing two (2 wire) NM cables into the same clamp, or box opening.

But a case of sharpies and label everything, why not? Don't go crazy, but it is easy to write, "feed, "sw," "Billy's room," etc. as you go. At least label the home runs at the panel, and if you like make a label out of sheath on the cdrs. that will land on the breaker. Someone has a picture of this around here.

Don't be afraid to stack two staples in the center of a 2"x4" stud, just don't go nuts sending the staple home.

Have fun!

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Hi again

Just checking out some tools for romex installation and I know some of you have been doing romex your whole career so I thought Id see what you recommend for strippers, cutters etc.

I have done a few hundred houses (as supervisor) with romex so I have a clue on what to use but Im lookin for some solid advice on quality and performance of these types of tools.

Actually any hints/tricks are also welcome in this thread.

to wire houses for builders, all you need is a big pile of money. keep wiring houses until all the money is gone.

Power Tech

SitSpin.jpg

The new Sit & Spin wire dispenser Goldstar-1 model.:grin: Laugh if you want to but it works and doesn't jam up. I saw it on the side of the road on garbage day, hit the brakes and picked it up, made a slight modification by adding some 1/2" plywood to the bottom and "Voilla". You can go to the supply house and spend $140.00 on a Racketeers model. I don't look for prestige on the job - just looking to get it done.;)

Trade secrete revealed, thanks.:D

480sparky

How do you guys move 1000 foot spools around the house easily. We tried it once and it was slower than 5 guys pulling runs all over at the same time, and pulling multiple runs in at once (IE from the panel to upstairs). 1000 foot has proven to me only, too cumbersome. We can work faster with 4-250' rolls as oppose to 1-1000.

As I stated before..........DON'T move them around. Set them up in one spot and pull from there. Without the coiling spirals coming off like 250's do, it lays flat and won't kink on you. I've set 1000 footers up in the garage, pulled through half the house, up the stairs, still go where I need to upstairs.

Just use a little brain power when setting them up, grab the end and pull all day.

hurk27

SitSpin.jpg

I 've used sit and spins, and bar stool bearing plates with the post, put plywood for a base and plywood over the post with the post sticking up for 1k' reels, or just slip an empty 1k' reel over it, and cut the side plate that is pointed up smaller in a round circle to slip open 250' rolls over it.;)

Cavie

Both of these methods are time wasters, and I would be ashamed to lasso wire around my head. How can you do that in a house anyway? just my opinion. Lay a hand roll on the ground and spool off what you need in your hand, then walk it out. Always strip wire before you put it into the box. When you look into the box, I don't like to see more than 1/4" to 3/8" of sheath.

That was my method for 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.