Shunt Trip Breaker For Elevator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a shunt trip breaker feeding an elevator need to be located in the Elevator Machine Room? I understand it needs a disconnect in the machine room (per code), but I have always located the shunt trip breaker in the distribution gear. Any help on this would be great.

nez

No it usually does not have to be in the elevator machine room. I've seen it in the electric room many times. Usually the fire alarm module that fires it is in the machine room but I dont know if that is required.

bsh

Put it in the machine room. On the last project I did with an elevator the inspector required the shunt trip in the machine room.

Thank you for the info, but are there any specific code issues that states it must be located in the elevator machine room? I could not find anything spcific.

nakulak

the elevator inspector usually overrides any other inspectors, although sometimes fire marshal supercedes him. elevators are mostly by ansi code, not nec. if you want to do it only once, you might get the right info from your elevator guy.

benaround

Does a shunt trip breaker feeding an elevator need to be located in the Elevator Machine Room? I understand it needs a disconnect in the machine room (per code), but I have always located the shunt trip breaker in the distribution gear. Any help on this would be great.

IMO, The ST should be in the Elevator Machine Room.

1. In Az. the ST would need a 120v control circuit and 2 dry contact connections for the

FA system, making these FA connections in 480vac distribution equipment is at best a bad

idea.

2.When testing the system it would be ( in many cases ) inconvient to have to find the

distribution equipment to reset the ST breaker.

3. You could locate the ignition switch to your car in the trunck, but, there is a better

place to put it. :)

iwire

Staff member
IMO, The ST should be in the Elevator Machine Room.

As long as your paying I am all for it. :grin:

In general it would add to our costs to place a shunt trip breaker in the machine room. At the least one additional large breaker and an enclosure for it. If it is not specified we will, and always have placed the shunt at the source of the feeder.

1. In Az. the ST would need a 120v control circuit and 2 dry contact connections for the FA system, making these FA connections in 480vac distribution equipment is at best a bad idea.

You lost me,:confused: either way at some point the fire alarm system and the line voltage meet in a common enclosure.

2.When testing the system it would be ( in many cases ) inconvient to have to find the distribution equipment to reset the ST breaker.

You could place a placard in the machine room describing the location of the shunt but I have never done that. :)

mtfallsmikey

Here in my local area, shunts are required in the machine room if the area is sprinklered, but my elevator guy says it depends on the way the job is spec'ed, and if the fire marshal approves.

Status
Not open for further replies.