Gas line bond deemed improper by utility employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

Recently, I did a 200amp service upgrade. Placed a CH 200amp 8 circuit/meter combo on the exterior. It then fed to a subpanel in the basement. The house had gas already, and I bonded the gas line where it was convenient, which coincidentily was about as far from the gas meter as you could get. The job was inspected and passed. The bond was done with #4 bare stranded.

Then the contractor added a section of yellow gas tract pipe to the stove off the existing black pipe system. When the gas guy came to hook it up he blew a gasket. First, because the add on was not inspected. Second, because the bond was in the wrong place. When the builder called me, I said the tech from the gas company was full of it, since I did pass the city inspection. He finally talked to the mechanical inspector, who said while technically my install was correct, the gas company now wants the bond at their meter due to lawsuits fom the tract pipe splitting open when subject to lightening strikes.

Has anyone else been subject to this? When they gas company came back, they hooked everything up without a change to the bond point (different tech, and it was a week day as opposed to a Saturday afternoon.).

Am I wrong in thinking that if lightening strikes the gas line, no matter where the bond is, the whole system would be energized until the strike disipates?

c2500

mcclary's electrical

Recently, I did a 200amp service upgrade. Placed a CH 200amp 8 circuit/meter combo on the exterior. It then fed to a subpanel in the basement. The house had gas already, and I bonded the gas line where it was convenient, which coincidentily was about as far from the gas meter as you could get. The job was inspected and passed. The bond was done with #4 bare stranded.

Then the contractor added a section of yellow gas tract pipe to the stove off the existing black pipe system. When the gas guy came to hook it up he blew a gasket. First, because the add on was not inspected. Second, because the bond was in the wrong place. When the builder called me, I said the tech from the gas company was full of it, since I did pass the city inspection. He finally talked to the mechanical inspector, who said while technically my install was correct, the gas company now wants the bond at their meter due to lawsuits fom the tract pipe splitting open when subject to lightening strikes.

Has anyone else been subject to this? When they gas company came back, they hooked everything up without a change to the bond point (different tech, and it was a week day as opposed to a Saturday afternoon.).

Am I wrong in thinking that if lightening strikes the gas line, no matter where the bond is, the whole system would be energized until the strike disipates?

c2500

Don't get into the theory of gas pipe bonding. Just know that if there's ever a piece of CSST on a job, even a short piece behind the stove, you're bond was incorrect. At least according to the manufacturers of the CSST. And they have gotten the usbc to adopt it. The Ibc is next in line to adopt it. The NEC still says size per 250.122. But you can't get a house around her inspected that way if there's CSST.

c2500

Don't get into the theory of gas pipe bonding. Just know that if there's ever a piece of CSST on a job, even a short piece behind the stove, you're bond was incorrect. At least according to the manufacturers of the CSST. And they have gotten the usbc to adopt it. The Ibc is next in line to adopt it. The NEC still says size per 250.122. But you can't get a house around her inspected that way if there's CSST.

Thanks for the insight. How long has this been going on?

mcclary's electrical

They have been getting tighter and tighter on it the last two years. I did a burn job last year from a lightning strike, CSST sparked to metal, burnt a hole in the CSST, and the rest was history. Lost the whole kitchen and bedroom, attice above.

hurk27

Here is a PDF file that was sent out in Mike Holt's news letters.
It was sent out in the fall of 2005, so this has been kicked around for a while now.

And here is another good thread on the subject:
csst

We back charge if CSST is installed, and was not brought up before the bid.

Last edited:

c2500

Here is a PDF file that was sent out in Mike Holt's news letters.
It was sent out in the fall of 2005, so this has been kicked around for a while now.

And here is another good thread on the subject:
csst

We back charge if CSST is installed, and was not brought up before the bid.

Thanks for the links. I will have to ask the electrical inspector about this. When he inspected, there was only black pipe. This was the first I had heard about this in my neck of the woods.

c2500

mcclary's electrical

Thanks for the links. I will have to ask the electrical inspector about this. When he inspected, there was only black pipe. This was the first I had heard about this in my neck of the woods.

c2500

that's THE KEY,,,,if it's only black pipe, the EGC is considered bonded. If there's CSST, you need the seperate bond. Black pipe only, I would remove your #4 bond, and leave the EGC in place at equipment, and call for reinspection.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
that's THE KEY,,,,if it's only black pipe, the EGC is considered bonded. If there's CSST, you need the seperate bond. Black pipe only, I would remove your #4 bond, and leave the EGC in place at equipment, and call for reinspection.

I would leave it.

The time and money have been spent. Just state an objection using 250.104(B) and use the handbook.

c2500

I never realized they used CSST through a house. I thought it was for short lenghts for final conection only.

Brian,

They do it whole house around here. A house I did last year was all CSST except for the 2" black pipe that ran to the pool heater. The HVAC guys said the CSST "whistles" when used in high BTU applications (400K BTU heater).

On that job, the bond went to the black pipe (as it was close to the point of service) and all was good in the world.

c2500

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here the gas company will remove any bond wire hooked to their piping, so we do not bond the gas line.

Many inspectors in the local area will say the the gas line is bonded through the FAU which is grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.