Voltage rate gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

Ok ..70E says we have to use voltage rated gloves on anything above 50V. Working in a chemical plant we constantly are required to work on live 120 VAC controls ciruits. Before you jump me about shutting it off, keep in mind we have a DCS system that controls the entire plant and shutting it down to replace a bad device is not an option (so we lift the wire at the terminal strip). So back to the voltage rated gloves, most of the live work is on small wire and I keep getting a lot of complaints about the gloves, no very user friendly. Does any one have a recommendation on the best gloves to use, glove that offer manual dexterity?

mxstar211

Are the gloves sized to each employee, or do you just have a couple sets of gloves and the workers have to find their closest size? I don't know of any gloves that offer better dexterity. Just make sure the gloves are properly sized.

richxtlc

A properly sized 00 gloves (rated at 500V) will provide a good level of dexterity to handle small wire. There is no justification for not wearing gloves when doing live work.

I feel for you. Have been in the same boat at a previous company. The gloves were sized to me, but they offer no dexterity. Unfortunately in the real world of industrial troubleshooting, you have to do things live, and if you power down, you lose your ability to troubleshoot a specific problem. No answers for you. Wore them when I absolutly had to, and was extremely cautious when i didnt.

joebell

Properly sized gloves do make a difference. I have found when I need to manipulate small wires wearing my live work PPE, using needle nose pliers come in handy. 1000 volt rated .

cornbread

Seems to me there might be a market for a low voltage glove. Lets form a company to make a disposable low voltage gloves, simuliar to the latex gloves your doctor wears when giving you the fickle finger of fate test. All I need is a million dollars in seed money and I'll get them out on the market.

big john

Make sure the guys have well fitted class 00 gloves and pigskin protectors. Salisbury sells them in half-inch size differences, so they can get them perfectly fit. That's the best you're gonna do.

I work power plants doing some of the same type of control work you describe. Is it the same as working bare-handed? Of course not. But odds are these guys are complaining because they haven't been doing it for long and don't like the change. You do it for a while and it's really not bad. I'm actually a lot more comfortable with the gloves because I don't have any worries about getting lit up.

-John

cornbread

Appreciate the reply. Your comment "resistance to change" is right on. I'm having to justify to management that gloves are safer than bare hands. Some of our electrcial folks have bent managments ears that is more dangerous to use gloves as there is a manual dexiterity problem.

I kinda of lost my cool in a meeting the other day when this issue was brought up. I more or less said if it is too difficult for some of the electrcial folks to use gloves they need not be in that position and perhpas re-staffing may be in order. I later appologized for my rash statements, but sometime its like hitting your head against the wall.

zog

Appreciate the reply. Your comment "resistance to change" is right on. I'm having to justify to management that gloves are safer than bare hands. Some of our electrcial folks have bent managments ears that is more dangerous to use gloves as there is a manual dexiterity problem.

I kinda of lost my cool in a meeting the other day when this issue was brought up. I more or less said if it is too difficult for some of the electrcial folks to use gloves they need not be in that position and perhpas re-staffing may be in order. I later appologized for my rash statements, but sometime its like hitting your head against the wall.

Show them the OSHA standard that requires the use of gloves, then show them some OSHA fines that were given for not using gloves. That will change thier minds.

TxEngr

We have similar issues at our plant with PLCs and DCS. We only issue Class 0 gloves for general work since we also have the potential to work near (never on) energized 480V equipment. Since the Restricted approach boundary for 120V is "Avoid Contact" and the gloves must be worn only when within the Restricted Boundary, just don't touch the exposed conductor. In 130.2(C)(1) it states that if the person is insulated or guarded from the energized conductors and no uninsulated part of the qualified person's body crosses the prohibited boundary then you're OK. It seems to me if you're using insulated tools rated for the voltage (we use 1000V) and they are maintained in good condition, then you are insulated from the energized conductor and meet the requirements. This really only works for 120V stuff since the Restricted boundary for 480V is 1 foot and pretty much dictates the use of insulating gloves.

That said, we require the gloves at our plant for any energized troubleshooting. Keeps the rules simpler.

Last edited:

bobsherwood

I am only wondering... for trouble shooting, work permit is not needed but, when your there to change a part and have to lift a wire off a hot terminal, do you do a hot work permit each time?

PetrosA

One thing I'll mention. I've seen two approaches to wearing gloves - first is using some kind of talcum powder, second is wearing thin cotton undergloves like what they use in photo labs under the rubber ones. I switched to the thin cotton undergloves and find them to be a lot more comfortable than talc. If your guys are using talc, it may be a good move to let them try the cotton gloves. The added comfort may make the reduced dexterity easier to deal with.

zog

One thing I'll mention. I've seen two approaches to wearing gloves - first is using some kind of talcum powder, second is wearing thin cotton undergloves like what they use in photo labs under the rubber ones. I switched to the thin cotton undergloves and find them to be a lot more comfortable than talc. If your guys are using talc, it may be a good move to let them try the cotton gloves. The added comfort may make the reduced dexterity easier to deal with.

Needs to be non metalilic, perfume free talc or you will damage the gloves. Dont ever use "baby poweder", best bet is to order the actuall "glove dust". Or use cotton liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.